You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 20:20:17

eothred

nfs auto-mount / auto-unmount / suspend laptop

I have a NAS which I can connect to using nfs. On this NAS I have a folder for backups, and on my computer I have backintime set up. What I am missing is slightly more seamless auto-mounting/unmounting.

I also use time machine on OSX to the same NAS, and time machine somehow figures out that the network disk is available and starts taking backup without me needing to mount anything. If I want to suspend the machine in the middle of the backup that gives me no problems.

In Arch I have difficulties getting the right settings in fstab for auto-mounting (I'm a newbie that way). There is another issue as well. It is a laptop so I prefer to suspend the machine when I carry it around. When I then suspend it with the nfs folder mounted, and open the machine at work where the NAS is suddenly unavailable, this seems to cause a (slight) problem. I don't get to unmount the folder anymore, and the machine seems to be hanging quite a bit (unsure if it is related).

Are there any recommended way to mount a nfs share in Arch Linux that would not cause problems with suspending of the computer, disconnecting from network before unmounting and so on?

#2 2011-04-05 06:09:08

eothred

Re: nfs auto-mount / auto-unmount / suspend laptop

So I got a bit further in my search for the "perfect mounting". Of course the entries in fstab were easier than I first thought, like this seems to work pretty well:
192.168.0.xxx:/volume1/Folder /mount/path nfs user,noauto 0 0

The problem I still have is that I often forget to unmount before I suspend the computer to memory, in which case it actually doesn't suspend to memory. Can I somehow set up the computer so it automatically tries to unmount a given set of mount points before it suspends to memory? Ideally I'd also like automatic mounting, but that is less of a problem as "mount /mount/path" is quite easy to remember...

#3 2011-04-05 06:58:35

student975

Re: nfs auto-mount / auto-unmount / suspend laptop

I try to avoid "floating" sources in fstab. To connect to my NAS (which is AL also) I use autofs. At my case I use samba rather nfs, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

Board footer