You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-05 23:24:17

richardjs

AMD Radeon HD 6300 Drivers

Hello all

I'm a new Arch user trying to get my system up and running. I've been going through the Beginners' Guide fine, but I've run into problems with video drivers trying to get X Server to work.

I have a laptop with an AMD Radeon HD 6300 Series video card. As the guide suggested, I installed the xf86-video-ati package. However, when I ran startx, I get (among other things) an "(EE) No drivers available" followed by a "no screens found" error. I gather from this that the driver either isn't installed correctly or doesn't support my card. The ATI wiki page says HD 5xxx and newer cards are somewhat supported--that includes my card, right? Do I need to do anything else to install it besides running "pacman -S xf86-video-ati"? I don't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and adding a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ didn't help either.

That failing, I also tried Catalyst. I got it successfully built and (I think) installed following the guide on the ATI Catalyst wiki page, but when I run aticonfig I get the message "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected". Catalyst should support my card, right?

xf86-video-vesa works, but from what I gather from the guide it's a less-than-idea solution.

Anyone have help or more information? I'm not exactly a Linux newbie, but I'm also not very experienced (which is why I'm trying Arch). I've poured over the guide and the web; forgive me if I missed something glaringly obvious.

Thanks for any help!

Board footer