You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-04 22:36:35

ipqw
Website

Resolving dependencies when building new packages

Hi all,

I don't know if you are interested or this is some "tool" that allready exists, but I have made a little helpfull Ruby script, for generating the dependencylist for PKGBUILD.

The script is available from my homepage (for now):
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~ks/listdepends.rb

It reads output from the ldd command as standard input, processes this and resolves the packagenames from pacman, and finally produces a list suteable for PKGBUILD.

Example of use:
ldd pkg/usr/bin/xfig | ./listdepends.rb
'glibc' 'libjpeg' 'libpng' 'xfree86' 'zlib'

Cheers, KS.

#2 2003-11-04 22:48:27

sarah31
Website

Re: Resolving dependencies when building new packages

pacman -S namcap

namcap <pkgname>-<pkgver>-<rel>.pkg.tar.gz

announcements have been on the frontpage about namcap.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-11-04 23:01:51

contrasutra

Just a tip:

Namcap is great and all, but it can NEVER find all the dependancies. Some dependancies aren't linked, but are used in some other way.

So don't rely 100% on NAMCAP. I've had to find that out the hard way. tongue

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2003-11-04 23:14:16

sarah31
Website

and it will not ofcourse list build depends...but you should already have figured those out. just remember some packages are only needed for building and therefor not technically needed in the depends.

ldd (which your app run and which namcap runs will not always catch all the required depends)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-12-17 10:13:52

glynadgie
Website

Many applications make use of external programmes which are not actually required to build the application, but are definitely needed to run its core features. For example, lyx definitely requires tetex to produce any useful output, but tetex is not in the depends list.

No doubt a failed run time dependancy would show up when you try to run the app, but such dependancies are often not spotted because the required package was already installed for some reason.

The only way I can think to check such depencies is to build a minimal Arch system for package testing. You build your package, and try to run it. If it fails,   install the dependancies and add them to the depends list. When it all works, remove all the packages, so you have a clean system for the next test. Is this the way Arch packagers do things?

#6 2003-12-17 14:45:43

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you buy me a fast machine to build packages then I'll do it like that.  Usually arch developers have to build packages on their own systems so you get what you get.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer