You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-19 12:47:26

unhammer
Website

can't log out from KDE :(

I have an intermittent problem where I can't log out from KDE. I'm running 4.6, last updated yesterday, but I've seen the problem on both my laptop and my desktop at least since 4.6 was out, not sure if I saw it before.

When I click my Log Out/Shutdown button on my panel, I get no response, nothing happens. Same thing when I click Shutdown or Log Out from the "start menu".

Trying to log out from the terminal:

$ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.currentSession                                                                                  

$ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.canShutdown 
true

$ qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer org.kde.KSMServerInterface.logout 0 0 0 

The only suspicious thing I can find in /var/log/kdm.log at the moment is

klauncher(28360) kdemain: No DBUS session-bus found. Check if you have started the DBUS server. 
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdmgreet(28353)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "Not connected to D-Bus server" 

(I haven't checked whether this has been there every time I've had the problem, just noticed it now.)

Some bug report at kde.org mentioned installing speex as a workaround, but this has not solved it for me.

I still have no idea what causes it to happen (since it only happens some times when I try to log out after using the computer for a while, it's rather difficult to triangulate the cause).

Anyone have an idea how I can figure out this problem?

#2 2011-02-19 15:59:43

ralvez
Website

Re: can't log out from KDE :(

I have noticed a similar problem.
In my case if I let it go for say +/- 30 secs. it will shut off.
The problem does not happen all the time though.

I'm unsure as to where the problem is generated but there is NO DOUBT that it started with KDE 4.6

Gotta hate the 1/2 baked KDE... the previous version 3.x was FAR superior for stability and reliability hands down. hmm

R.

Last edited by ralvez (2011-02-19 16:00:49)

#3 2011-02-19 20:36:21

zyxon
Website

Might be a silly question, but... do you have "dbus" enabled in your rc.conf?

#4 2011-03-05 11:30:30

Maki
Website

i have a similar with kdm, i can't even shutdown, it logs me out and i get this white box where i guess should be buttons.

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#5 2011-03-06 04:52:00

Maki
Website

i have fixed my problem by running sudo rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-*. try from there smile

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#6 2011-03-10 22:04:26

Viski

I have the same problem.

klauncher complains about lack of dbus connection in /var/log/kdm.log, but ps aux shows that it is running.

I'm currently turning the computer off with shutdown -h, which - while efficient - is a bit cumbersome.

#7 2011-04-08 15:10:27

caan

I've been having exactly the same issue for the last couple of days. Both workspace buttons and qdbus commands didn't give any results and logging out of KDM was impossible.

Anywhere removing /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER, /tmp/kde-$USER and /tmp/ksocket-$USER from outside of KDE (thanks to bcooksley from the forum.kde.org), seems to have resolved it for me and everything is back to normal now.

I've also noticed that (while the problem still occurred) when I simultaneously opened another KDM session (with 'switch user' and logging with the same user) in that new session logging out worked like it should, however the first session still presented the mentioned problems.

Board footer