You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 15:07:42

Patrick Boyle

Sudo password requirements

First, I'd like to say hello to the Arch community and thank everyone for their work on such a great distribution. I've been casually playing with Linux for many years now, but mostly with consumer-oriented distros like Ubuntu. Arch is letting me play around with the very core of what Linux is and giving me a more fundamental understanding of how it works, without a bunch of clutter.

Now, on to my actual question. I've observed that by default sudo will not authenticate if the user's password is set to the username (patrick/patrick for instance). I've tried to find documentation that addresses this, but couldn't find anything in sudo or sudoers. Can anyone point me to something that officially states this as the intended behavior, and possibly a way to modify that behavior?

Thank you.

#2 2011-04-08 16:11:54

SS4

Re: Sudo password requirements

I can't reproduce this error. What does your sudoers file look like?

Rauchen verboten

#3 2011-04-08 16:59:28

Patrick Boyle

neutral Wow, I really should have experimented a little more before posting this question. I went back to test again, and authentication worked. Thanks for the reply!

#4 2011-04-08 17:08:37

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Sidenote: Never ever set the password for a user to the same as the username......

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer