You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 19:56:54

toad
Website

bootchart problems

I use e4rat to speed up my boot process and would like to use bootchart for a before and after scenario.

What I'm after:
1. bootchart has to be able to log until I stop it
2. has to be able to work together with e4rat, i.e. both have to be appended to the kernel line and work concurrently

1st attempt:
I tried bootchart 0.9.9 - it logs only up until ?dm (xdm, kdm, gdm, whatever) starts. This is no good for me. I tried adding

AUTO_STOP_LOGGER="no"

to /etc/bootchart.conf but to no avail.

2nd attempt
bootchart2 with its EXIT_PROC line did the trick as far as logging past ?dm goes but I cannot get it to work on my grub kernel line

linux   /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/818dc030-8108-4428-8859-b73a58d0b0f3 ro quiet resume=/dev/sda2 init=/sbin/bootchartd bootchart_init=/usr/sbin/e4rat-preload

Bootchart does not seem all that well documented and playing around with code is quite simply beyond me. Google is not forthcoming either, so grateful for any hints/tips

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#2 2011-04-08 21:24:59

soloport

Re: bootchart problems

This is how bootchart works.  It was designed to help improve time-to-boot.  It does not, therefore, look beyond boot processes (thus the name).  You may be interested in oprpofile (http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/news/) if full-system-view of performance is what you're after.

#3 2011-04-08 21:32:37

toad
Website

Re: bootchart problems

Hm, thanks for the hint, but it apparently DOES support logging until whatever command you want it to log to - at least bootchart2 does. Question now is how to log two init processes together with it.

Anyhow, I'll check out oprofile.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

Board footer