You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 00:50:30

jlindgren

What is Arch's timeline for GTK3?

I'm using testing (with an XFCE desktop) and noticed that the (Gnome) network manager is now using GTK3.  Which piques my curiosity about whether other apps will now be compiled with GTK3 or will still be compiled with GTK2.  I suppose many apps will only work with one or the other, but what is the policy going to be for those that work with either (e.g. Audacious)?

Last edited by jlindgren (2011-04-09 00:51:47)

#2 2011-04-09 01:01:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: What is Arch's timeline for GTK3?

Depends on the dev/TU in charge of the software. Once gtk3 gets out of [testing] I'm pretty sure those apps which support it WILL be moved over. Some users may have issue with that (theming for example is kinda sparse for gtk3 still), in that case an AUR version of the package with gtk2 instead of gtk3 is the answer.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-04-09 02:36:57

dolby

Re: What is Arch's timeline for GTK3?

XFCE will be using GTK+2 even for its 4.10 release which is planned for 2012 so you will be stuck with it for a long while.
Individual applications will have to be ported to GTK+3 first in order for the developers to make the switch.
Pretty much the same situation as Python.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

Board footer