You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-05 19:23:45

poetofnumbers
Website

database advice needed

Since I have no knowledge of databases, I'm turning to my fellow Arch users for advice.  I would like to have a collection of quotes.  I don't believe something as simple as fortune text files would be sufficient, because I would like to have the ability to add meta information which classifies the subject or nature of a quote:  tagging the moral of one of Aesop's fables as 'moral' or tagging a quote from Jefferson as 'personal liberty' to signify the subject of the quote.  A database, as far as I know, will help simplify the maintenance and access to this collection.  As for future plans, I may use this database to put a quote on my website.  So my problem is that I don't know where to go from here.  A simple interface is preferred but not necessary.  As for integrating the database with my website, my hosting environment is the math department at Kansas State University.  Thus my host will change when I change schools.  Any suggestions or criticisms of my plans are welcome.

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#2 2005-06-05 19:39:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: database advice needed

I've never used it, but I've heard good things about sqllte for things like this.

Dusty

#3 2005-06-05 21:14:15

medicated

I"ve used sqlite a little bit an I this sounds like a fine job to start using it.

#4 2005-06-06 14:49:25

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ok poet... here's a quick breakdown:

sqlite (mentioned twice) is rather interesting.  It's self contained, meaning you don't need a seperate daemon running to retrieve the data (check out trac, it uses sqlite exclusively for all it's wiki data).  There are also numerous sqlite language extensions (pysqlite is in my repo + AUR)

mysql most likely outperforms sqlite, however it requires a decent chunk of db knowledge, and runs a seperate daemon...

alot of people love mysql, but me, not being a web developer, would spring for sqlite instead.

#5 2005-06-06 15:02:19

medicated

It really all depends on the services available on the server your web app is going to live on and the preference of admins(if its not your server).  As phracture stated, sqlite is a self contained database and requires not server daemons to be running..thats really convenient.  If this is your server and you're left with the choice of installing mysql or not, then consider this..  Is this the only application you'll have that requires a database?  If so, go ahead and install sqlite.  It'd be a lot simpler and saves system resources.

Board footer