You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-02 17:35:45

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Developer Opening: Documentor

The wiki has vastly improved our documentation, thanks to everyone in the community.  But to be honest, phpwiki kinda sucks and I'd like to move to something a little better and more robust (note to self: never use gdbm for anything large).

We also need someone who can keep the install docs up to date as we add new features and tweak the install process.  The documentor(s) will help manage the wiki (rasat does most of it right now) and organize the documents therein.  They will also have the initiative to create more documentation for various processes when the need arises.

As a documentor, you're more or less left on your own to get the job done.  It's up to you to pick the brains of other developers when you need information.  You will also be managing translation efforts and soliciting translations from our multi-lingual community.

http://www.archlinux.org/jobs/documentor.html

Obviously, you need to be well-written.  You should be fluent in English, since that's the main language we devs speak.  You should have a good  understanding of Arch so you can explain it well to others in your docs.

A good documentor is worth his/her weight in gold.  Unfortunately, we don't pay in gold, only virtual slaps on the back and other non-monetary kudos.  smile

Thanks!

#2 2005-06-02 18:40:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Developer Opening: Documentor

You're making me feel guilty.

#3 2005-06-06 15:16:09

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

You know, I'd be willing to just do the wiki conversion (though I wouldn't have time for the full on documentor's job)

#4 2005-06-06 15:33:54

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Judd, if you read this, a lot of us have volunteered to help out with the wiki conversion and cactus is already developing a media-wiki we might use:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … =mediawiki

Dusty

#5 2005-06-06 20:50:52

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Is cactus still developing solar wiki?  He mentioned that no one was interested in helping with the project, and he had shelved it for the time being.

#6 2005-06-06 20:55:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

apeiro wrote:

Is cactus still developing solar wiki?  He mentioned that no one was interested in helping with the project, and he had shelved it for the time being.

I believe he trashed the project due to the fact that there are a whole mess of wikis out there, not sure though

#7 2005-06-06 21:30:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah. i dumped it. nobody was really that interested, and I had other projects I wanted to work on. My main goal with solarwiki was in fact to come up to speed with php5, and to have a project for some class I was taking at the time.

summary here

MediaWiki also got better in the meantime (the install is MUCH better than it used to be).

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-06-17 08:33:46

FUBAR
Website

Is there an "official" list of stuff that's to be done? So people can have a look and decide if they can/want to help out.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#9 2005-07-15 02:39:25

devnet
Website

Dunno if it is too late...but I've found wikka to be a fantastic wiki for the distro I use the most.  If you want to see it in action...try here.

BTW, this is not a ploy to get users there...I'm interested in Arch because a friend fled here from MEPIS fallout AND a Unix guy at work recommends it.

#10 2005-07-15 02:46:45

iphitus
Forum Fellow

devnet wrote:

Dunno if it is too late...but I've found wikka to be a fantastic wiki for the distro I use the most.  If you want to see it in action...try here.

BTW, this is not a ploy to get users there...I'm interested in Arch because a friend fled here from MEPIS fallout AND a Unix guy at work recommends it.

How is it relevant?

It doesnt contain anything that pertains to arch, it's all GUI wizards and things, which Arch doesnt have.

#11 2005-07-15 02:52:25

devnet
Website

It's a wiki silly...I thought you were speaking of types of wiki's to use for arch.  If not, sorry I read the topic wrong.

#12 2005-07-15 04:01:49

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Oh, oops, sorry.

Cactus is working on porting the Arch Wiki to MediaWiki, so we're fine with the wiki situation.

#13 2005-11-06 11:00:08

Nattydraddy

iphitus wrote:

Oh, oops, sorry.

Cactus is working on porting the Arch Wiki to MediaWiki, so we're fine with the wiki situation.

Long time no postings here, but much have change in the documentation and the wiki for it. If there are still people needed for documentaion, i Asking for them would be good. I for myself would offer my free time for it, but i´m not an Archlinux expert and although my english is good for one from Germany i wouldn´t be as fast as an naturally english speaking person in documenting Archlinux.

#14 2005-11-06 12:53:36

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

This position is closed so I am locking the thread.

Board footer