You are not logged in.

#801 2011-04-10 13:24:39

stefano.facchini

Re: gnome unstable repository

karoshi wrote:
dolby wrote:

Does anyone know when i hit the Super L (Windows key) and im lead to activities(ive heard some people call it the expose view ala Mac OSx) , how to work with the presented windows using the keyboard?
Tab and stuff dont seem to work in there.

I'm looking for that too. When you're in overview, it seems you always have to use the mouse to switch through windows or desktops. Very annoying and it totally breaks the workflow.

To switch workspaces you can use Ctrl-Alt-ArrowUp and Ctrl-Alt-ArrowDown (these shortcuts work both inside and outside the Overview).

To select windows via keyboard I think that the only way is to install the gnome-shell extension "Windows Navigator". It associate a number to each window, which allows you to select them with combinations like Alt-1 Alt-2 etc.

#802 2011-04-10 14:25:26

karoshi

stefano.facchini wrote:
karoshi wrote:
dolby wrote:

Does anyone know when i hit the Super L (Windows key) and im lead to activities(ive heard some people call it the expose view ala Mac OSx) , how to work with the presented windows using the keyboard?
Tab and stuff dont seem to work in there.

I'm looking for that too. When you're in overview, it seems you always have to use the mouse to switch through windows or desktops. Very annoying and it totally breaks the workflow.

To switch workspaces you can use Ctrl-Alt-ArrowUp and Ctrl-Alt-ArrowDown (these shortcuts work both inside and outside the Overview).

To select windows via keyboard I think that the only way is to install the gnome-shell extension "Windows Navigator". It associate a number to each window, which allows you to select them with combinations like Alt-1 Alt-2 etc.

Hmmm, yeah. I changed shortcuts for desktops to Super&Up/Down. That was the problem: You can't use shortcuts containing the Super-Key in Overview... You enter Overview when you press Super and release it, but you get out of Overview by just pressing Super. Anyway, changed back to Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down, that of course works.

It's a bug planet!

#803 2011-04-10 16:35:19

Kernald

@karoshi Maybe you can use the right Windows key to switch workspace ? The Overview uses just the left one.
Edit : Nevermind, you can enter the Overview only with the left one, but you can exit with both of them…

Last edited by Kernald (2011-04-10 16:35:52)

#804 2011-04-10 17:13:22

stefano.facchini

karoshi wrote:

Hmmm, yeah. I changed shortcuts for desktops to Super&Up/Down. That was the problem: You can't use shortcuts containing the Super-Key in Overview... You enter Overview when you press Super and release it, but you get out of Overview by just pressing Super. Anyway, changed back to Ctrl-Alt-Up/Down, that of course works.

Mmh... yeah it seems a bit asymmetric behavior, but I suspect that's by design. You can try to file a bug upstream against gnome-shell and see what the developers answer, maybe asking for a patch that changes the behavior

#805 2011-04-10 22:32:42

msplanchard

I'm running into a problem with the network manager applet under Gnome 3. The icon in the systray is the "no connection" icon. When I click on it, the only option I get is "Network Settings." From there, I can go into wireless and connect to whichever network I would like to. Even when connected, the icon does not change.

I'm really not sure why this is or what I could possibly do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

#806 2011-04-11 15:01:30

zenlord
Website

msplanchard wrote:

I'm running into a problem with the network manager applet under Gnome 3. The icon in the systray is the "no connection" icon. When I click on it, the only option I get is "Network Settings." From there, I can go into wireless and connect to whichever network I would like to. Even when connected, the icon does not change.

I'm really not sure why this is or what I could possibly do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you follow the wiki on networkmanager? You need to install the applet also and you need to start the daemon after dbus

#807 2011-04-11 17:09:51

msplanchard

zenlord wrote:
msplanchard wrote:

Did you follow the wiki on networkmanager? You need to install the applet also and you need to start the daemon after dbus

Yes. The applet was working fine until I installed the gnome 3 shell.

#808 2011-04-11 17:41:24

zenlord
Website

msplanchard wrote:
zenlord wrote:
msplanchard wrote:

Yes. The applet was working fine until I installed the gnome 3 shell.

I have it working, but I did not use networkmanager before I installed G3 (I used netcfg). Maybe you should try reinstalling nm and nm-applet?

#809 2011-04-11 19:54:42

matsche

Hi i get this error:

21:52:12 matze@~ $ shotwell 
shotwell: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit-1.0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
21:53:24 root@/home/matze $ pacman -Qi libwebkit
Name           : libwebkit
Version              : 1.3.13-1
URL                  : http://webkitgtk.org/
Lizenzen             : custom
Gruppen              : Nichts
Stellt bereit        : webkitgtk-svn
Hängt ab von         : libxt  libxslt  sqlite3  icu>=4.6  gstreamer0.10-base
                       libsoup  enchant  gtk2
Optionale Abhängigkeiten: Nichts
Benötigt von         : pywebkitgtk  shotwell
Konflikt mit         : webkitgtk-svn
Ersetzt              : webkitgtk-svn
Installationsgröße   : 26023,00 K
Packer               : Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org>
Architektur          : i686
Erstellt am          : Di 22 Mär 2011 23:00:31 CET
Installiert am       : Mo 11 Apr 2011 18:25:03 CEST
Installationsgrund   : Installiert als Abhängigkeit für ein anderes Paket
Installations-Skript : Ja
Beschreibung         : An opensource web content engine (for GTK2)

Any suggestions?

THX!!
cu matsche

#810 2011-04-11 19:58:19

toffyrn

matsche wrote:

Any suggestions?

Notice that this is for GTK2. Don't know if thats the answer/solution.

Is libwebkit or shotwell from testing?

#811 2011-04-11 22:30:13

msplanchard

zenlord wrote:

I have it working, but I did not use networkmanager before I installed G3 (I used netcfg). Maybe you should try reinstalling nm and nm-applet?

I uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no success, even going so far as to remove them completely rather than just reinstalling them.

#812 2011-04-12 06:02:10

jolinfire

matsche wrote:

Hi i get this error:

21:52:12 matze@~ $ shotwell 
shotwell: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit-1.0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
21:53:24 root@/home/matze $ pacman -Qi libwebkit
Name           : libwebkit
Version              : 1.3.13-1
URL                  : http://webkitgtk.org/
Lizenzen             : custom
Gruppen              : Nichts
Stellt bereit        : webkitgtk-svn
Hängt ab von         : libxt  libxslt  sqlite3  icu>=4.6  gstreamer0.10-base
                       libsoup  enchant  gtk2
Optionale Abhängigkeiten: Nichts
Benötigt von         : pywebkitgtk  shotwell
Konflikt mit         : webkitgtk-svn
Ersetzt              : webkitgtk-svn
Installationsgröße   : 26023,00 K
Packer               : Ionut Biru <ibiru@archlinux.org>
Architektur          : i686
Erstellt am          : Di 22 Mär 2011 23:00:31 CET
Installiert am       : Mo 11 Apr 2011 18:25:03 CEST
Installationsgrund   : Installiert als Abhängigkeit für ein anderes Paket
Installations-Skript : Ja

Any suggestions?

Just try to update your shotwell version. Last one ?

[fred@fredo-arch src]$ pacman -Si shotwell
Dépôt                 : community-testing
Nom                   : shotwell
Version               : 0.9.1-2

Community-testing activated or not ?

#813 2011-04-12 12:05:21

pntruongan

Anyone know how to get ibus to work with gtk3 application yet?
I tried ibus-git in AUR and it does not work so I doubted that I there are something that must be done to compiling options

As far as I know, the ibus package as well as ibus-git in AUR don't provide the  /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so necessary to register itself as an input method among gtk3 application. I tried copy the file /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so in to that place but that just make gtk3 application crash.

I googled for "ibus in gtk3" and got a bunch of ibus-gtk3 rpm package for fedora 14,15,16 which provided the file /usr/lib/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/immodules/im-ibus.so but that file require /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-3.0.so.

So now that I've ran out of ideas. Is there anyone successfully test gnome3 with ibus, I kinda love gnome 3 but have to type into a gtk2 textbox then copy and paste is...

Last edited by pntruongan (2011-04-12 12:18:56)

#814 2011-04-12 17:05:29

luciferin

pntruongan wrote:

I tried ibus-git in AUR and it does not work so I doubted that I there are something that must be done to compiling options

add '--enable-gtk3' to the ./configure line in the PKGBUILD.

#815 2011-04-12 17:10:11

matsche

Thx. I forgot to enable [community-testing]!
@jolinfire THX!

THX!!
cu matsche

#816 2011-04-12 19:02:03

pntruongan

luciferin wrote:
pntruongan wrote:

add '--enable-gtk3' to the ./configure line in the PKGBUILD.

That does the trick!! Thank luciferin

#817 2011-04-12 19:31:36

Mazur
Website

Hello, anyone has any idea if there is any list of Gtk applications which were already ported or started to port to Gtk 3? Cheers.

#818 2011-04-14 13:20:34

archiebald

wonder wrote:

banshee is not a gnome project. open a new thread and don't populate this one with mono stuff big_smile

Isn't Banshee new default player of GNOME 3 instead of Rhythmbox which was default player of GNOME 2?
Btw. Tomboy is for sure part of gnome project. big_smile

#819 2011-04-14 14:03:50

michal.penka
Website

archiebald wrote:

Isn't Banshee new default player of GNOME 3 instead of Rhythmbox which was default player of GNOME 2?

It's default in Ubuntu, not sure about GNOME in general.

#820 2011-04-14 15:05:00

pntruongan

archiebald wrote:
wonder wrote:

banshee is not a gnome project. open a new thread and don't populate this one with mono stuff big_smile

I fired up the GNOME 3 Live and found Neither Banshee nor Tomboy included. I guess they may be part of gnome, but not the default one

#821 2011-04-15 20:43:48

amadar
Banned

Hey all, I know that Gnome 3 will hit [extra] "when its ready", but since that is probably very soon, I wonder if anyone has an idea as to when exactly. I figure some people here (devs, moderators, Jan de Groot, etc) might have a pretty good idea. Does anyone have a guess that is presumably accurate?

Last edited by amadar (2011-04-15 20:47:37)

#822 2011-04-15 22:47:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

amadar wrote:

Hey all, I know that Gnome 3 will hit [extra] "when its ready", but since that is probably very soon, I wonder if anyone has an idea as to when exactly. I figure some people here (devs, moderators, Jan de Groot, etc) might have a pretty good idea. Does anyone have a guess that is presumably accurate?

When its ready. Noone is going to bother to tell you exactly when, because it would be better just to release it....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#823 2011-04-18 20:22:59

amadar
Banned

Lol, so much anticipation!

Last edited by amadar (2011-04-18 20:23:31)

#824 2011-04-21 16:34:08

misc

Does somebody know where hotkeys of gtk3 applications (nautilus, that is) are stored? nautilus-open-terminal has lost its F4 hotkey for some reason (thus has none atm) and can-change-accels gets entirely ignored.

edit: It's ~/.gnome2/accels/nautilus, the open-terminal line is already there. One needs to remove the ; at the beginning to uncomment the line and add the desired hotkey.

Last edited by misc (2011-04-24 01:56:19)

#825 2011-04-25 21:16:43

archiebald

michal.penka wrote:

It's default in Ubuntu, not sure about GNOME in general.

http://www.gnome.org/applications/

pntruongan wrote:

I fired up the GNOME 3 Live and found Neither Banshee nor Tomboy included. I guess they may be part of gnome, but not the default one

There are two official GNOME 3 live-cd's, from openSUSE and Fedora. Fedora is known for purging Mono/C# stuff, so you have for example Gnote instead of Tomboy and Rhythmbox instead of Banshee (official openSUSE player long before GNOME 3 came out, btw).
If I remember correctly there is Banshee in openSUSE GNOME 3 live cd.

So some distros will have Banshee and some will stay with Rhythmbox.

Last edited by archiebald (2011-04-25 21:17:25)

Board footer