You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-11 07:43:15

ilikenwf
Website

Using an Older MLC SSD from Transcend - Best Filesystem?

I'm currently using ext3 with noatime, nodiratime, rooflags=data=writeback and nobh ...

I don't trust btrfs yet, as it eats data...

That being the case, should I use (I know it may be older and use journals, but still in the running since it's compatible with .28) reiser4?
Should I use jfs, ext4, reiserfs, xfs, nilfs2 or one of those others?

I care most about low latency as I use this laptop for coding and playing games more than anything. Any large files or database type things I deal wtih are usually on remote systems or on the second mechanical hard drive...

I'm looking for the best fs and best settings for a low latency setup, that will also be stable enough not to crash every time I upgrade the kernel...ext3 has worked fine, but I know it's not the fastest.

Oh, and by the way, is it cool to use noop even though I have a mechanical drive? 90% of my daily use is on the SSD...

Also, I had difficulty in finding a definiate figure for my erase block size, but I think that gparted used the best size automatically of 512 bytes, this is a transcend TS32GSSD25S-M.

One more unrelated question - have any of you tried BFS v400 with an i7? I'm using an asus g73jw and the last time I tried BFS it caused lots of problems...now I'm hesitant...

#2 2011-04-11 08:54:16

lupusarcanus

Re: Using an Older MLC SSD from Transcend - Best Filesystem?

ext2

#3 2011-04-11 21:58:18

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Using an Older MLC SSD from Transcend - Best Filesystem?

ext2 is just ext3 without the journal

ext4, xfs and jfs are all solid choices, but I think you'll get the best performance for your use cases with ext4, and you can disable the journal if you don't want it which is nice. Since it's an older drive, it probably doesn't have TRIM, but if it does ext4 + discard option is definitely what you want.

You can actually set the IO scheduler per block device via /sys/block/$DEVICE/queue/scheduler, so you could use noop for the SSD and keep elevator for your HDD.

Board footer