You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-12 10:50:00

Nichollan

(Solved) X/Intel: No screens found, unable to start X.

I write Solved with parentheses because I am not sure if there is a deeper problem. Anyway, here’s what I remember from my ordeal:

Updated. Among the updated applications were X related packages.

Attempted to start a separate X server with AssaultCube and got an error saying something along the lines of "No screens found."

Rebooted the computer.

Was unable to start X with startx seeing the same error. I no longer use a display manager because I don't want to wait for a display manager to load that may complicate things in situations such as these.

Ran Xorg -configure and installed the generated configuration.

Was able to start X, but the image was stretched with a lower resolution and displaced partially above the screen. I was unable to get back to a virtual terminal, seeing only a black screen when pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1. Quitting X didn't help and I saw no other option but to do a hard shutdown.

Reinstalled xf86-video-intel, and found that I had a forgotten
xf86-video-intel-git package in conflict.

Attempting to start X again resulted in the same problems. I figured that I was using the vesa driver.

Ran Xorg -configure, which resulted in an error saying "Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed."

Simply replaced "vesa" with "intel" in xorg.conf, and was able to start X without any apparent problems.

Last edited by Nichollan (2011-04-12 10:58:26)

Board footer