You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-12 05:48:54

triplesquarednine

[SOLVED]EasyStroke no longer works after upgrading Xorg....

Hi,

First i would just like to take the time to say, that ArchLinux kicks butt!  I just joined the forum, but have been using Arch for about a month. Thus far, i have had very few problems....until tonight wink

I keep my system really up-to-date (almost everyday i update).  Tonight, there was an update for Xorg (1.10? i think).
Anyway,  One of the applications that i use is Easystroke - which after the upgrade has stopped working, i even recompiled it (which went fine) but still it doesnt work.

a more detailed explanation;

1. the app starts up fine, and appears to be working.

2.  i draw a gesture on the screen, and i can see easystroke drawing them.

3. at this point the usually, i would stop drawing and easystroke would execute my gesture. but now instead, it doesn't properly release the gesture key (second button on my Wacom Bamboo stylus).

4. Easystroke has a "history page" that allows you to see how accurate your gestures are, now it shows absolutely nothing.

I have searched around with google, and no luck.  I tried to get a more verbose output from easystroke, but it doesn't tell me anything.  So, now i am kind of stuck sad

After the upgrade (and a reboot), i tested the system to see if there were other problems.  So far, i have found zero.
I've tested my tablet, all of my main applications; Maya2011, Mypaint, gimp, Compiz++, Jackd, wine, etc.  Everything is fine. I have also went through the log viewer, and nothing caught my eye that would hint to what has gone wrong....

if anyone else is having the same problem, or has a possible solution, please let me know.
I can deal with not using it for now, but not having Easystroke running, seriously hinders my workflow and navigation
on my Arch Desktop.... and now i am wondering whether or not easystroke even runs with the latest X???

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-05 06:43:00)

#2 2011-04-12 06:22:56

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]EasyStroke no longer works after upgrading Xorg....

Hello,
Welcome to the forums.  Your post is fine in every way.  Introduction, problem description, what you have done -- perfect.  The package you reference is from the AUR which, as you know, is not in the main stream Arch distribution.  These community contributions are essential Arch, but have their own area in the forum to differentiate them.

Moving this thread to AUR issues...

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-04-12 06:42:17

triplesquarednine

ewaller wrote:

Hello,
Welcome to the forums.  Your post is fine in every way.  Introduction, problem description, what you have done -- perfect.  The package you reference is from the AUR which, as you know, is not in the main stream Arch distribution.  These community contributions are essential Arch, but have their own area in the forum to differentiate them.

Thanks for Welcome smile

thank you, and i will make sure to post in the proper location, next time. My mistake i didn't realize the seperate location
for all things AUR - but this obviously makes sense.

thanks again, take care!

jordan

#4 2011-04-12 08:08:32

triplesquarednine

Update:

1. The latest xserver has introduced a bug that doesn't handle XI2 SD button grabs correctly anymore. (apparently)

it's been reported here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/757972

I highly recommend to anyone who relies on using Easystroke to NOT upgrade xserver until the issue is fixed upstream. (or disable easystroke temperarily).

This bug report at Launchpad, is exactly the same problem that i have right now.

cheerz

jordan

#5 2011-04-12 16:31:58

triplesquarednine

ewaller wrote:

Hello,

Moving this thread to AUR issues...

As it turns out. This isn't a bug in AUR/easystroke. It is a bug in the latest xserver 1.10.902 (found in the "extra" repo)  Many applications are affected. Opera, chrome (if you are using the mouse gestures features for navigation) and it turns out that while i thought Maya wasn't affected, in reality, it is totally affected. most applications that use a mouse with right-clicks, middle clicks do not work properly.

it's an upstream bug, that affects all distributions using the latest Xorg. I am not filing a bug report, because as i understand it, this bug has already been reported upstream by Ubuntu-devs (on launchpad).

that latest update for Xserver, should have been tested better, before being an update available through pacman.
On my system, i do not use any testing repos, only core, extra, and community. I do this to avoid situations, just like this. lol.

I have work i need to get done today, but unfortunately, the only way that could happen is if i downgrade xserver (which i don't think is a smart idea). So, i guess i must wait for the next xserver update for arch. hopefully this happens in the next 24hours.
I suppose i will have to use OSX for now, until this is properly addressed and fixed.

anyway, i just wanted to point out that this bug has nothing to do (specifically) with Easystroke or AUR, that is just how i first noticed the bug. ( i just wanted to point that out, as you are a moderator ). This bug is in the main repos for Arch, and anyone updating today (or yesterday) will be affected, if they use applications where it's noticable.

jordan

Board footer