You are not logged in.

#26 2005-06-07 07:36:38

vacant

Re: best supported linux mouse?

Dusty wrote:

I had an optical standard 3 button wheel mouse from MS and it had a habit of jumping across the screen every once in a while.

I found that. I changed the mouse mat rather than the mouse. A smooth surface with a plain grey background/simple thin white grid. matt finish. That hardly ever happens now.

#27 2005-06-07 09:43:18

iphitus
Forum Fellow

vacant wrote:
Dusty wrote:

I had an optical standard 3 button wheel mouse from MS and it had a habit of jumping across the screen every once in a while.

I found that. I changed the mouse mat rather than the mouse. A smooth surface with a plain grey background/simple thin white grid. matt finish. That hardly ever happens now.

Some of the original optical mice had this issue because at the time the technology wasnt fast enough to be capable of tracking fast movements.

And like you said, there are some surfaces optical mice just hate, they dont go on glass, and occasionally the odd reflective surface.

#28 2005-06-07 14:23:11

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

And like you said, there are some surfaces optical mice just hate, they dont go on glass, and occasionally the odd reflective surface.

Right, if the surface causes the incident ray to refract, the "return" ray will be at a different position.  This usually happens on reflective surfaces which have minor imperfections (scratches, manufacturing process, etc)

I've have the best performance with a Fellowes optical mouse pad, which has the gel wrist rest and has some weird grooved texture which is supposed to increase optical accuracy

#29 2005-06-07 16:33:41

Moo-Crumpus

I hate those gel wrist rests. They only become black and dirty over the day.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#30 2005-06-08 04:34:48

iBertus

Pink Chick wrote:

I hate those gel wrist rests. They only become black and dirty over the day.

mine is covered in black flet-like material, and thus no dirt is visible.

#31 2005-06-08 09:55:08

iphitus
Forum Fellow

I have a pine desk finished with some shellac that works fine.

iphitus

#32 2005-06-08 11:09:08

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

iphitus wrote:

I have a pine desk finished with some shellac that works fine.

iphitus

Pine!?
Mine's made of dried up compressed lily pads. Yeah, ya' know, that $hit you find at walmart that looks pretty good, then when you get it home it crumbles when you look at it. Right now it looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. Great stuff man, highly recommend it.
Funny thing is I used to build furniture and cabinets for a living and I really don't care to make myself a nice desk. Hell I don't even have a coffee table...But thats how I roll.

#33 2005-06-08 15:11:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Penguin wrote:

Mine's made of dried up compressed lily pads. Yeah, ya' know, that $hit you find at walmart that looks pretty good, then when you get it home it crumbles when you look at it. Right now it looks like the leaning tower of Pisa. Great stuff man, highly recommend it.

Particle board! always makes me think of that stupid "particle man" song...

Board footer