You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-14 02:51:34

asadsnowman

"mount: only root can mount" or "Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS"

I'm trying to set up an NTFS partition to use as a common data partition between Arch and Windows. I have it added to fstab so that any user in the ntfsuser group can have access to it, but if it gets unmounted accidentally from the "eject" symbol in the nautilus gui, you have to sudo to mount it back up. Is there a way for it to be remounted automatically when you click on the partition again in Nautilus? I've searched all through the forums and looked through several articles on the wiki but haven't been able to come up with anything. The error I get says

mount: only root can mount /dev/sda4 on /home/adam/UserData

I've tried adding the users option to fstab, but that only manages to change the error to

Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS block devices using the external FUSE
library. Either mount the volume as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated
FUSE support and make it setuid root. Please see more information at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

I've tried the suggestions at the link in the error, as well as tried the solutions given in [solved] Gnome : mounting NTFS partition as user and a few other posts, but still nothing. If possible, I'd prefer to stay away from the users option in fstab, since it adds a redundant link to the sidebar in nautilus with a different name.

#2 2011-04-14 14:16:36

sam87

Re: "mount: only root can mount" or "Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS"

hmmm..I'd try autofs for that, that way anyone trying to access the drives mounts them by clicking on them(not too sure about this though) but if you cd into them from the cli, voila!

what i cannot build, i do not understand

#3 2011-04-14 14:50:18

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Just permamount it in fstab, ???, problem solved.

UUID(or LABEL)=whatever /home/adam/UserData ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2011-04-14 16:42:57

Gusar

Make /bin/ntfs-3g suid root.

#5 2011-04-14 19:57:24

asadsnowman

@Mr.Elendig: It is mounted through fstab normally, but in nautilus there's an eject icon on the sidebar next to the name of the drive which I've accidentally clicked on a couple times if I'm just trying to open the drive real quick. Once its been unmounted like that it won't let me remount unless I use sudo. I'm just looking for something to make it a little more convenient than having to pop open a cli and type in a password.

I'll try the suid root when I get home tonight, otherwise I'll look into autofs.

Board footer