#1 2008-02-20 16:53:02

delmonico

Booting and suspend-to-disk with luks encryption

Hey guys,

I've been using the following setup on my laptop for a while:
/dev/sda1 /boot
/dev/sda2 luks-encrypted swap
/dev/sda3 luks-encrypted /

Today I finally found time to set up suspend2disk using pm-utils. After playing around for a while I got it working but I now need two bootloader entries to have normal boot and resume sad because:

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 resume=/dev/mapper/swap cryptdevice=/dev/sda2:swap ro <-- resume works fine, but normal booting does not (kernel panic: unable to mount root device).

So I basically need the kernel to use my keyphrase to open the root AND the swap device, but I can't specify two cryptdevice entries.

anyone knows how to do this? chris

#2 2008-02-20 17:47:16

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Booting and suspend-to-disk with luks encryption

Did you look at the corresponding entry in the wiki? I have had the same problem (I have only ~ encrypted now) but I understood that you can provide entries in /etc/crypttab (which requires you to 'expose' the passphrases though).

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2008-02-20 18:57:29

delmonico

Unfortuantely that won't help, because crypttab is read by the init scripts which is far to late if you are resuming from disk.

#4 2011-04-16 02:07:47

egenix

I know this is an old thread, however an important one which I believe has been SOLVED now?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … sk_support

A quote from that page

At boot time, the openswap hook will open the swap partition so the kernel resume may use it. If you use special hooks for resuming from hibernation, make sure they stand after openswap in the HOOKS array. Please note that because of initrd opening swap there is no entry for swapDevice in /etc/crypttab needed in this case.

Last edited by egenix (2011-04-16 02:08:39)

Desktop imac: Quadcore i3 3.2Ghz cpus, 4Gb ram 27' display ATI Radeon HD 5750 1G Ram, 1TB Hard drive - OS Arch Linux
Desktop : Dual Core 3Ghz, Nvidia Fx5200 Dual monitor 256Mb ram, 1GB Ram, 600GB Hard drives - OS Arch Linux
Phone: HTC Desire HD 1Ghz snap dragon, 738 MB Ram OS's Android, Debian Linux

Board footer