You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-11 00:26:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[Gnome3] Dark GTK3 theme from Adwaita!

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48152 - gnome-themes-standard from git.

To set the dark theme as default for all your apps, just go to /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0 and move gtk.css and gtk-widgets-assets.css out of the way. Soft-link gtk-dark.css and gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css in their place and all your GTK3 apps will look spiffy and dark smile.

The way I'm doing it is pretty hacky, if anyone has a better way to specify that all apps should be dark (instead of just eog and totem currently) please share it here.

Last edited by ngoonee (2011-04-11 01:28:22)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2011-04-11 16:57:56

zodmaner

Re: [Gnome3] Dark GTK3 theme from Adwaita!

Nice. smile Thank you for your work, ngoonee. Would you mind posting a screenshot?

#3 2011-04-11 16:58:38

zodmaner

[duplicate]

Last edited by zodmaner (2011-04-11 16:59:41)

#4 2011-04-11 17:22:02

kazuo
Website

Thanks ngoonee. A simple screenshot

fyo3mu_th.png

EDIT: Uhh... gtk2 don't have a Adwaita Dark? Any matching theme?

Last edited by kazuo (2011-04-11 17:25:38)

#5 2011-04-12 03:28:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thanks for the screenie kazuo.

And I just use Darklooks in gtk2, its not an exact match but close enough that I don't get headaches...

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-04-12 09:14:14

killajoe
Website

adwaitatheme.th.png
http://img863.imageshack.us/i/adwaitatheme.png/

Adwaita Theme has a gtk-2 subfolder with a gtkrc for compatibility with gtk-2 apps.

Only thing i can not change is that black "tool-area":
adwaitathemetoolarea.th.png
http://img607.imageshack.us/i/adwaitathemetoolarea.png/

here is my Adwaita-dark gtkrc for gtk2:

http://pastebin.com/vbnULbyi

And this is my screenshot:
adwaitadarkgnome2.th.png
http://img203.imageshack.us/i/adwaitadarkgnome2.png/

Last edited by killajoe (2011-04-12 09:19:00)

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

#7 2011-04-12 15:57:57

misc

No need to softlink, "gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true" in settings.ini suffices.

#8 2011-04-13 01:39:10

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

misc wrote:

No need to softlink, "gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true" in settings.ini suffices.

That just hangs my gtk3 apps (100% CPU and never opening). Possibly because I don't run gnome-settings-daemon.

#9 2011-04-13 08:13:17

misc

ngoonee wrote:

That just hangs my gtk3 apps (100% CPU and never opening). Possibly because I don't run gnome-settings-daemon.

Weird. I don't do either, it works just fine for me.

#10 2011-04-13 08:30:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah, I just realized you meant putting it in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, not the settings.ini in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0

That works then. Time to update the AUR package to mention that and remove the symlinks.

#11 2011-04-13 21:06:20

gfx010

ngoonee wrote:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48152 - gnome-themes-standard from git.

To set the dark theme as default for all your apps, just go to /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0 and move gtk.css and gtk-widgets-assets.css out of the way. Soft-link gtk-dark.css and gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css in their place and all your GTK3 apps will look spiffy and dark smile.

The way I'm doing it is pretty hacky, if anyone has a better way to specify that all apps should be dark (instead of just eog and totem currently) please share it here.

I went to this link:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48152

I downloaded the tarball, and extracted, I only see two files:
adwaita-dark-gtk2    and    PKGBUILD

I'm using Fedora 15 beta with Gnome 3.0/shell

I see the two files gtk.css and gtk-widgets-assets.css in the folder /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0

But I don't see the gtk-dark.css and gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css files that I should replace them with?
Where are they? They are not in the Tarball.

#12 2011-04-14 01:40:16

gun26

The PKGBUILD is a script of Arch's build system to download, compile, and make an installable Arch binary for the package. You can't use it directly in Fedora. In fact, if you look at the PKGBUILD you will see that the actual sources to be compiled for the package are pulled directly off a git repository. Probably the easiest thing you could do is search for a Fedora .rpm package for the theme. I'm sure there is one, or soon will be.

#13 2011-04-14 03:38:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gfx010 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

I went to this link:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48152

I downloaded the tarball, and extracted, I only see two files:
adwaita-dark-gtk2    and    PKGBUILD

I'm using Fedora 15 beta with Gnome 3.0/shell

I see the two files gtk.css and gtk-widgets-assets.css in the folder /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0

But I don't see the gtk-dark.css and gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css files that I should replace them with?
Where are they? They are not in the Tarball.

The PKGBUILD is just build instructions. Better for you to ask in Fedora forums what to do with those lines of bash. I do not use Fedora, nor am I interested in trying to figure out how they do things.

#14 2011-04-14 03:53:12

gfx010

ngoonee wrote:

The PKGBUILD is just build instructions. Better for you to ask in Fedora forums what to do with those lines of bash. I do not use Fedora, nor am I interested in trying to figure out how they do things.

Thanks for the reply,
I know what PKGBUILD is, I used Arch before, I just want to know where can I find these files:        gtk-dark.css     and     gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css              ?

#15 2011-04-14 05:56:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gfx010 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Thanks for the reply,
I know what PKGBUILD is, I used Arch before, I just want to know where can I find these files:        gtk-dark.css     and     gtk-widgets-assets-dark.css              ?

No, you do not know what a PKGBUILD is if you have to ask that. This PKGBUILD downloads the git repo for gnome-themes-standard, the files are there.

#16 2011-04-14 06:27:23

gfx010

ngoonee wrote:
gfx010 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

No, you do not know what a PKGBUILD is if you have to ask that. This PKGBUILD downloads the git repo for gnome-themes-standard, the files are there.

I know how to "build it", but I don't know how it works, that's what I meant by that.
Where can I download these two files?

#17 2011-04-14 07:28:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gfx010 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
gfx010 wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

I know how to "build it", but I don't know how it works, that's what I meant by that.
Where can I download these two files?

From the git repo. As is done in the PKGBUILD.

#18 2011-04-15 21:17:03

replicant

here's how to grab the files on FC15:

git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-themes-standard
cd gnome-themes-standard/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/

#19 2011-04-16 14:53:46

sbfreak

I successfully installed gnome-themes-standard-git from AUR.Pardon me for being noobish but I can't understand the second part of the post-install instructions.

and symlink/copy /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-dark to default to the dark Adwaita theme.

Copy the file where?
I have a Adwaita and a Default folder in /usr/share/themes but no folder named dark Adwaita insite the Deafult folder.

#20 2011-04-16 14:58:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

If you select Adwaita as a gtk2 theme with whichever selector (or in .gtkrc-2.0) it will look for $THEMES/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and use that. So you need to replace that with gtkrc-dark somehow (symlink or whatever you want).

#21 2011-04-16 15:17:48

sbfreak

Thank you very much:)

#22 2011-05-01 14:56:32

Kooothor

Thanks indeed ngoonee smile

ktr

#23 2011-05-01 16:09:30

itti

As I'm not a gtk pro... Is there a simple way to get the Adwaita dark theme but without highlighted stuff being inverted to orange?

edit: OK I figured it out. a quick diff of the gtkrc files showed that only the line "gtk-color-scheme" is different. The highlight color I meant corresponds to the property "nselected_bg_color" which can be changed accordingly. the same property can be found in gtk-dark.css in the gtk-3.0 directory.

Last edited by itti (2011-05-01 17:08:26)

#24 2011-05-03 04:23:49

amb

I've fixed the color scheme as mentioned above (Adwaita theme + symlinks).
Also set  gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme = true  on .config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini.

Everything seems ok, but LibreOffice's Calc doesn't show cell background color anymore.
I've already had  OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome  environment variable set and a custom color scheme, as I was using a dark theme before GTK+ 3.

The strange thing is that the background color button on menu bar shows the correct background color for the cell, but on the spreadsheet it appears overrided by the color set by my color scheme (this doesn't occured before, with GTK2). If I choose the color as "Automatic" for the "Document background color", it turns the cell background into the (dark) color of the GTK theme (overriding the cell color anyway).

If I choose some (but not any) of the light themes the cell background color appears again (but then my eyes get hurt).
I've fiddled with environment variable and settings.ini without success.

I've tried to google something about this, but it seems GTK+ 3 is rather new, and I1ve found little related to different problems.
Anyone having the same problem with LibreOffice and GTK+ 3 dark themes?

Armando

#25 2011-05-04 07:12:09

dodo3773

This works great for all the new gtk3 apps. But all the other ones are still light for me. Is there any way for it to work system wide? I would be happy if it worked for Firefox. Also, how can I change roots theme to this too? Awesome job by the way.

Board footer