You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-17 13:56:10

michal.penka
Website

Totem DVB plugin

Hi, I've googled around for a while in order to check how to get DVB-T plugin for Totem. I've managed to install all gstreamer0.10*, gnome-dvb-daemon and linuxtv-dvb-apps packages. However, I can't find the plugin within Totem's menus or list of plugins. Seems that there is a bug, because libraries are available:

michal@t61:~$ ls /usr/lib/totem/plugins/
bemused               chapters   media-player-keys  pythonconsole  thumbnail
brasero-disc-recorder  im-status  ontop             save-file        youtube
dbus               iplayer      opensubtitles      screensaver
dvb-daemon           jamendo      properties         screenshot
gromit               lirc      publish         skipto

Does anybody have a solution?

#2 2011-04-17 17:41:54

azleifel

Re: Totem DVB plugin

I suspect that it's installed properly because I can see the dvb-daemon directory in the listing and, for example

$ pacman -Qo /usr/lib/totem/plugins/dvb-daemon/dvb-daemon.totem-plugin

should get

/usr/lib/totem/plugins/dvb-daemon/dvb-daemon.totem-plugin is owned by gnome-dvb-daemon 0.1.23-2

but gnome-dvb-daemon is fully integrated into totem and doesn't appear in the list of plugins.  Relevant menu entries are, for example, Edit -> Recording Schedule and Edit -> Digital TV Preferences, and there should be a "Digital TV" entry in the Playlist dropdown.

#3 2011-04-17 19:19:15

michal.penka
Website

The output of your command is the same as mine (incl. version). However, I don't have menu entries you list.

I know how it should look like (already used it on my wife's Ubuntu laptop). I remember there was some File -> Open DVB-T stream or something like this.

Any suggestions? Thanks wink

#4 2011-04-17 20:49:20

azleifel

There's a "Watch TV" entry in totem's File menu but that's not part of gnome-dvb-daemon and it was broken the last time I tried it, which was a while ago (some error about not being able to find the channels.conf file even though it was in the correct location).  Anyway, I took the step of deleting all of my user's totem/dvb-daemon configuration, started totem and everything was there that I expected.  Just had to run gnome-dvb-setup to retune.

Edit: And do you have gstreamer0.10-rtsp installed?
Edit1: The reward tOGJhMA

Last edited by azleifel (2011-04-17 21:11:32)

#5 2011-04-17 23:01:01

michal.penka
Website

Cool smile This is the goal I want to accomplish.

Yes, gstreamer0.10-rtsp is installed. I'm wondering what version do you have? I'm running 3.0.0 as I've got GNOME 3 installed. Cannot it be the problem?

#6 2011-04-18 18:13:01

azleifel

I'm running totem 2.32.0, so totem 3.0.0 could be the problem.

#7 2012-11-03 11:03:18

Smoerrebroed

Has there been any final conclusion as to what needs to be done in order to make DVB work under totem? I have everything installed (latest version as of today) and I can see the menu entries in totem (Recording Schedule, Preferences, blah) but I'm missing the Digital TV entry in the playlist. What could be wrong?

TIA

Smoerrebroed

#8 2012-12-09 19:19:08

MrTea

Same issue here, totem doesn't display the channel list even if the plugin and all dependencies are installed correctly. Btw, it's very confusing that there is no kind of obvious error, instead the plugin SEEMS to work correctly but you just can't use it. Starting totem within the terminal reveals that in fact an error occurs in the gnome-dvb-plugin: """Failed activating DVB DBus service 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'set_image'""" followed by a python traceback to "/usr/lib/totem/plugins/dvb-daemon/dvb-daemon.py" complaining """TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()""".

As the plugin itself is part of gnome-dvb-daemon package from the aur the bug seems to be part of the gnome-dvb-daemon. What I find confusing is, that this looks like a very fundamental bug but either it occurs only to a hand full of people or nobody actually uses the plugin tongue

Last edited by MrTea (2012-12-09 19:21:07)

Live long and prosper! \\//_

#9 2012-12-09 21:58:19

azleifel

I suspect that very few people use the plugin because it definitely doesn't work at the moment, and according to the developer it is most likely due to https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=675227

Board footer