You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-06 12:43:59

khazdar

system wont boot

Just installed AL, and choose grub  as my bootloader. However- reading through the forums I noticed some people saying that grub should ask where to installed? i.e the mbr or elsewhere? but it does not. In the f5 console it does not say anything regarding grub. (does not say it failed or was successful at installation) so - anyway I reboot and my system, and basically it looks like this:

>GRUB

And thats it. I rebooted and loaded the kernel off of the cd and started changing my menu.lst.... but then i noticed. there aren't any files in the
/boot/grub/directory except for menu.lst. isnt there suposed to be more ?

so my question is two fold. is my grub menu.lst screwed up resulting in me not booting? or is my install cd fouled up?

TIA.

-Khaz

#2 2003-11-06 16:06:59

sarah31
Website

Re: system wont boot

sounds like your grub install did not work properly. i cannot think of why or if there is a fix that you can attempt at this point.

did you check the md5sum of the iso before you burned it to ensure that the download went alright?

other than that you may have to try installing again. unfortunately i have not had to deal with issues like this so i do not have much else to suggest.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2003-11-06 16:20:46

khazdar

Actually that helps. Gives me the info that I needed. I have already re-installed  several times.  Form your post, I get he impression that GRUB should ask were to install the bootloader.. so I must have d/l a bad image. Alas.. I didnt check the sum.

#4 2003-11-06 23:00:30

andy

Grub seemed to get installed for you - but not configured. As you already mentioned, the installer did not ask you anything. Now, I have no idea why that happened. Did you install a kernel ? Set up all partitions, i.e. confirm all disk steps with "done" ?

Anyways, since you can boot AL, you can configure grub now:
- Copy all the files from /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/ to /boot/grub/ (the AL-installer would do that, too). If there are no files, then something is really screwed.
- Edit menu.lst as you need.
- Now you can use grub-install like in
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual … ub-install
Just be sure to know if you have a /boot partition or not, as described in the manual.

Board footer