You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-19 15:30:42

rubenvb

Virtualbox shared folder and write permissions

Some vital information:
host: Windows 7 x64
guest: Arch x64
Guest additions are installed as "pacman -S virtualbox-guest-additions virtualbox-guest-modules"

I have added this to my /etc/fstab file:

Development /home/ruben/Development vboxsf defaults 0 0

And can access (read) the filesystem I set up to be shared. I can mkdir, rmdir that dir, but not any other directory already present there.

When I try to do a "svn co" in that folder, it fails when trying to move a .svn/tmp/entries file to .svn/entries. svn can create the directory, but I can't "rm -rf" it afterwards.

Command that fails:
svn: Can't move 'trunk/.svn/tmp/entries' to 'trunk/.svn/entries': Operation not permitted

I have tried setting all permissions in Windows, tried adding rw,uid=1000,gid=1000 after defaults in /etc/fstab. I have checked our good friend Google. Nothing works. Any help is much appreciated.

#2 2011-04-19 15:51:34

rubenvb

Re: Virtualbox shared folder and write permissions

Well, some more investigation popped up a stone-age bug in virtualbox: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/4381

When changing the new svn folder from partial read-only (in Windows), I can continue the "svn co", until the next "entries" file is moved, which of course fails again.

So the question now becomes: does anyone know of a workaround?

#3 2011-04-20 02:07:31

meop

Re: Virtualbox shared folder and write permissions

Is it necessary that you use Virtualbox shared folders? Could you set up a Windows CIFS share with appropriate permissions and mount that as a workaround?

Board footer