You are not logged in.

#76 2011-04-17 15:50:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: [LiveCD/USB] CTKArch Live 0.7 release

Calimero:

Thanks for the pertinent info...I had surmised that method was necessary but the details were missing.

I discovered my smplayer doesn't respond to files larger than the system can handle.  Vlc receives the file but since it is too large, say 200mb. it rejects the file.  Smaller files of Flash are accepted by both players.

I will look into clipgrab, a new program for me to play with!

Next Sunday is Easter...late this year..............

Merci buku

Ray

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#77 2011-04-18 18:19:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performing /install/mkhome to add the partition CTKhome.

The procedure utilizes cfdisk to establish the partition.

After entering the partition info,new,primary,size,end,type..

Do I write the partition table to disk and ruin the partition 1 boot-up(which it does)?

The program for mkhome follows the cfdisk step with a note that if the partition number (2) doesn't appear, either reboot, or installcp2ram, remove device and reinsert.

With my system in block mode established in CF card connected in adapter from Sata, I cannot remove and replace the CF card.  Is there any other way to do the workaround?

If rebooting is required, I assume the mkhome program must be terminated at this point...or do you call for root terminal and enter reboot leaving the mkhome program open...?

These details seem to fit a cd-related setup.

I may be able to set that up but only as a cdhdd boot.

I will try that while I wait for reply......

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#78 2011-04-18 22:51:40

lilsirecho
Veteran

Solved the problem by setting up partitions beforehand.

Perhaps I cannot use mkaddons in my block device with addons in the boot partition which are included in /boot/mnt but CTKhome addons are in partition#2 and may not be installed via the /arch/addons.

#79 2011-04-21 17:27:02

Calimero
Website

You can use mkaddon any time and any way.
And it's not /boot/mnt but /bootmnt, and it's not /arch/addons either, it's /addons in the CTKhome-labeled partition, which means /media/CTKhome/addons on the live system (because the partition is mounted on /media/CTKhome).

With mkhome, when partitioning you just have to create a partition in the remaining space of the medium, then reboot and restart the mkhome assistant, doing nothing in the partitioning part.

Last edited by Calimero (2011-04-21 17:27:58)

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates ?

#80 2011-04-21 17:32:05

lilsirecho
Veteran

Please comment on the mkhome procedure wherein the option to reboot  and/ or install2ram to enable the partition to be selected.

In my block device install per Custom script, I have been unable to setup partition #2 in fdisk such that it does establish the partition to enable completion of CTKhome partition.

Perhaps it cannot be done with a block device type install of 0.7?

Perhaps it can be done if in cp2ram with a cd install but not with a block device install?

In using cfdisk, the partition data is complete with ,new,primary, size and beginning.  Thus, the only step left that is viable is ..quit... because ...write...will wipe out partition#1.

Why doesn't the new partition appear as an option to select during the mkhome procedure?

As I read the documentation, it seems both boot addons and CTKhome addons are possible.  Is that correct?

I did perform a partition setup for partition#1 and partition#2 before dd'ing the 0.7 Custom script generated .iso.

This produced a booted system with /boot/mnt addons installed.  Thereafter, I used mkaddon to produce a CTKhome addon of the system changes. 

This resulted in an addon added to the /boot/mnt addons ...in /addons..named addons/CTKhome/addons/addon-noask-upgrade3.sqfs....  Previously, addons included upgrades 1,2,and4.

I rebooted to test the result and found that the system changes were not made.

A subsequent boot-up of the Custom installed block device the next day responded with the added system changes of upgrade3.sqfs.  In addition, CTKhome partition#2 no longer existed.

The Custom block device performs all addons, including that provided in the defunct CTKhome partition ..upgrade#3.. in every boot-up since.

How could the partition be eliminated in 0.7?  It is a read-only system.

#81 2011-04-21 19:23:19

Calimero
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

In using cfdisk, the partition data is complete with ,new,primary, size and beginning.  Thus, the only step left that is viable is ..quit... because ...write...will wipe out partition#1.

I don't agree. You can avoid wiping out the first partition when creating another in the remaining space.

lilsirecho wrote:

Why doesn't the new partition appear as an option to select during the mkhome procedure?

You need a reboot after partitionning with cfdisk, because the partition table is "inside" the first partition, so it's locked for reload until reboot.

lilsirecho wrote:

As I read the documentation, it seems both boot addons and CTKhome addons are possible.  Is that correct?

It is, if what you call "boot addons" are the add-ons you put inside the iso.

lilsirecho wrote:

I did perform a partition setup for partition#1 and partition#2 before dd'ing the 0.7 Custom script generated .iso.

Everything you do before dd'ing the iso to the block device is pointless, for it is erased by dd.

For the rest… just keep in mind that once the (modified or not) iso has been written to a flash card for instance, if you make add-ons they will go to the CTKhome partition.

I can't help you more, because some things just don't make sense there.
I don't know why you're still talking about this so-called "/boot/mnt" folder. The add-ons you put inside the iso image can be seen in /bootmnt/addons/ in the live system once booted.

sigh, this thread has become a misunderstanding conversation between you an me about how to use this…

#82 2011-04-21 23:55:32

lilsirecho
Veteran

Thanks for your patience on this thread.

I do indeed find the /boot/mnt addons in /addons/.

I also found CTKhome addons as I reported...strange?

You state that *one can avoid wiping out the first partition in cfdisk*..... but the only way to do that is to ..quit..as I see it.

What other option is there other than write new partition table?  This wipes out the system.

#83 2011-04-22 00:39:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

One last comment.

With the 0.7 CF card booted and /root enabled /install/mkhome  reports:

1)ata-_CF_card (dev sda)

Perhaps this ID explains the result I get when trying to establish partition CTKhome.

#84 2011-04-22 02:02:27

lilsirecho
Veteran

Remember, I have two versions of 0.7.

One is a standard install to the CF card as a block device and it responded to cfdisk to establish sda2 CTKhome.

My problem lies with the second instance of 0.7 also installed on another CF card but this install was made with the CUSTOM script and allows addons  to be installed when the script is run.  This performs correctly and the CF card responds correctly.

However, the CUSTOM CF install does not permit the install of  CTKhome partition since it is an ata card and not a cd.  The procedure for cfdisk refers to "remove and reinsert " which cannot be done with an ata device.  If I install the CUSTOM CF card in USB, I have to identify it as a USBHDD in order for it to boot CTK.

At the least, a procedure seems to be  required to produce the CTKhome partition in an ata device without destroying the existing partition#1.

I have tried many,many times to generate a mkhome partition while booted in the CUSTOM 0.7 script iso install with no success.

#85 2011-04-22 16:06:56

Calimero
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

I do indeed find the /boot/mnt addons in /addons/.

/boot/mnt does. not. exist. okay ? it's /bootmnt.
Or maybe you put something in /boot/mnt but that won't do anything at all.

lilsirecho wrote:

You state that *one can avoid wiping out the first partition in cfdisk*..... but the only way to do that is to ..quit..as I see it.
What other option is there other than write new partition table?  This wipes out the system

No. Use the arrow keys to move the selection to the free space, then create a primary partition there.
What's the problem?

It's a block device, you can create partitions on its free space, period.

lilsirecho wrote:

The procedure for cfdisk refers to "remove and reinsert " which cannot be done with an ata device.
I have tried many,many times to generate a mkhome partition while booted in the CUSTOM 0.7 script iso install with no success.

Let me repeat the steps (after having dd'ed whatever ISO you want on it):
1/ create a partition in the remaining space of the flash memory (you can use mkhome for that)
2/ write the partition table, quit cfdisk and reboot (don't bother with the script asking for the partition to use, just hit Ctrl C)
3/ run mkhome again, this time quit cfdisk right away and select the partition you created for the home partition.

Last edited by Calimero (2011-04-22 16:08:52)

#86 2011-04-22 19:23:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

I may have mis -stated  /bootmnt ...my oops.

I will attempt to do what you outline and report back re results.

The last step you provided is not a normal procedure as I see it.

#87 2011-04-22 19:46:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performed the dd of CUSTOM .iso on 2GB CF device.

Booted into Desktop.

Entered root terminal...

Entered /install/mkhome...

Selected 1 for my CF card.

Entered and reached cfdisk....showing 854mb partition#1..

Selected free space with down arrow...

Ran new,primary,rest of the free space size and wrote the partition table, answering yes to query.

Entered CTL C and rebooted....

Failed to reboot...error report undefined partition filesystem unknown.

End of story....

Will now do the same thing with normal .iso 0.7 not a CUSTOM install.

I will report on that activity forthwith.

#88 2011-04-22 20:06:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performed the install of 0.7.iso dd to 2GB CF card.

Performed the same steps as before and was able to reboot and continue with the /install of mkhome by skipping cfdisk and selecting partition2.

Partition #1 is 610.28MB and partition 2 is the remainder of free space in the 2GB CF card.

Thus, the CUSTOM.iso fails to function in boot sequence after cfdisk partition write is performed.  This occurs every trial.

#89 2011-04-22 21:01:26

lilsirecho
Veteran

Performed the procedure twice on two different CF cards with the CUSTOM.iso.

Each was successful in creating a mkhome partition by using.... write, yes, then quit.  This must be followed by CTL C  and reboot and then after reaching Desktop, enter /install/mkhome again but skip any action in cfdisk.

In interpreting the instructions in the mkaddon script, I immediately selected START and restart.  This is why I never got the partition installed.

It is imperative that CTL C be included in the script IMHO.

I also installed a download in  /mkaddon on each of the CF cards which appeared in the system upon reboot.

Merci  buku for the clue regarding CTL C... not an intuitive entry to make at that point.

Ray

Board footer