You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-09 10:48:28

fourcs

using pacman to install kernel

How automatic is it to use pacman -S kernel to install kernel? Does uname -r relect new kernel afterwards? I'm using kernel 6.10 with grub. Do I have to adjust grub for the new kernel?

#2 2005-06-09 10:52:02

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: using pacman to install kernel

Nothing takes into effect until you reboot. And you don't have to do anything to grub.
Just make sure your boot partition (if you have one) is mounted when you install the kernel.

#3 2005-06-09 15:35:57

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: using pacman to install kernel

fourcs wrote:

How automatic is it to use pacman -S kernel to install kernel? Does uname -r relect new kernel afterwards? I'm using kernel 6.10 with grub. Do I have to adjust grub for the new kernel?

uname -r is going to give you the name of the running kernel - if you upgrade your kernel doesn't suddenly stop and load the new one unless you reboot.

With grub, no you don't need to change anything, it will be fine (with lilo, you'd need to rerun lilo)

and it's pacman -S kernel26

One thing to note: when you upgrade the kernel, it will remove your old modules and the whole directory, which is found through "uname -r" - if you upgrade your kernel, and then try to modprobe something, it will fail (yet running modules will remain running)... so I'd recommend rebooting asap when you upgrade the kernel

Board footer