You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-22 22:50:03

deF291

having a few issues with several programs (tor / mpd / ccm..)

Hey everybody,

I'll arrange this post in 3 parts since I have 3 different kinds of "major" problems or questions .

1st ( tor - privoxy - polipo - iptables )

I somehow found this article in your wiki and therefore tried to get tor and privoxy up and running on my desktop machine, as this didn't work as I hoped it would I searched farther in the wiki and installed and configured (as far as I've thought of) polipo and iptables.
Now I've put all 4 of them in my rc.conf, but somehow some of my http connections don't seem to work in chromium while iptables is running (https works fine though [e.g. archwiki works, youtube doesn't]).
I did everything as suggested in the polipo wiki entry, meaning I changed my /etc/iptables/iptables.rules to

*nat
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
-A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -m owner --uid-owner polipo -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 8123
COMMIT

and removed all proxy settings from my browser - meaning all corresponding flags in the startcommand. I also added "forward / localhost:8123" to the privoxy config and changed the polipo configuration according to the wiki in order to work with tor (the socksParentProxy, socksProxyType part).

now the next problem - that might probably be related to the first - is that my privoxy doesn't load in daemon mode anymore.
I think it's since I've installed polipo that privoxy began to refuse starting together with the other daemons hmm

[usR@machine ~]$ privoxy
Apr 23 00:20:56.459 b75086c0 Fatal error: can't check configuration file '/home/usR/config':  No such file or directory

this is the output I get when I try to start privoxy in normal user mode from the terminal, when I try starting the daemon manually (/etc/rc.d/privoxy start) it says

touch: cannot touch `/var/log/privoxy/logfile': Permission denied
chgrp: cannot access `/var/log/privoxy/logfile': Permission denied
chmod: cannot access `/var/log/privoxy/logfile': Permission denied
touch: cannot touch `/var/log/privoxy/jarfile': Permission denied
chgrp: cannot access `/var/log/privoxy/jarfile': Permission denied
chmod: cannot access `/var/log/privoxy/jarfile': Permission denied
Apr 23 00:22:34.490 b76396c0 Fatal error: Cannot setgid(): Insufficient permissions.

[/var/log/privoxy belongs to privoxy:adm]

when I do the same in sudo mode it just fails without displaying an error message..
I added this code to the /etc/rc.d/privoxy executable but I still get this owner conflict error and I have no idea what might be causing it.

if [ ! -d /var/log/privoxy ]
      then
   mkdir /var/log/privoxy
   touch /var/log/privoxy/errorfile
   touch /var/log/privoxy/logfile
   chown -R privoxy:adm /var/log/privoxy
fi

If the order of the daemons in rc.conf is of any real importance here a copy of my setup

( @polipo @privoxy @syslog-ng !set-hw-addr !iptables @network netfs hddtemp @crond hal dbus @alsa @slim @tor )

2nd ( mpd & mpc )

I'm just wondering if there's a way to output the position of a track in the current playlist combined with a search. since mpc search <type> <query> only prints out full file path and name, but not the position in the playlist so that you could play it with mpc play. I thought of a method to print out the whole list with mpc playlist and pipe this output into a listing program, than grep out the song I'm looking for all that in a little bash script, to replace mpc search.
Is there an integrated mpc search function that works the way I imageine it and my idea therefore redundant, or if not, is it realizable the way I picture it; does such a listing program exist?

3rd ( cairo-compmgr )

Since I'm already posting here I thought I'd mention my older problem which I  still couldn't solve.

1st) I need to start cairo-compmgr(-git) in sudo mode to be able to edit any settings or activate the gui in any way. how do I automatically start the program on startup in sudo mode? I tried editing ~/.fluxbox/startup & ~/.fluxbox/init, even tried adding it in /etc/rc.d/ and /etc/rc.conf in order to start it as a daemon (lol, noob) but none of that worked properly obviously hmm Any ideas? I don't want to start it manually and "waste" a terminal window for that every time I boot.
2nd) I can change opacity (transparency) in both versions only per hotkey, and when I do so the settings don't get saved, they even get reset to normal opacity as soon as another window gets selected. does anybody know if there's a config file or any way to save opacity settings for certain windows & programs, so that they automatically get loaded when cairo starts and stay applied until it gets closed?
[or generally: how do I configure the Plugins? big_smile]
the last "problem" which occurs only with cairo-compmgr-git:
When I rightclick the ccm icon in the task bar and disable the composite desktop, the whole program kills itself oO
In the old version the option "Composite desktop"'s box just got un-checked and I could easily restart ccm by rightclicking the logo again and re-enabling the "Composite desktop" option.
Any clues on that by any chance?

I'm using Fluxbox by the way, if that's of any importance for any of the problems. hope I didn't forget any important information if so please remind me tongue

Would be thankful for any kind of help smile

have a nice weekend

deF

//edit:
concernig the tor / privoxy problem, I managed getting all the daemons to start up at bootup again, my iptables situation remains the same though.
I went through all the config files again and played around with chown and chmod a little and for now the system is stable, everytime I reboot all the daemons start without any problems.
but when i start chromium with --proxy-server=localhost:8118 now, I get the following error message

The following error occurred while trying to access http://torcheck.xenobite.eu/index.php?:

504 Connect to torcheck.xenobite.eu:80 failed: SOCKS error: network unreachable

Generated Sat, 23 Apr 2011 04:49:08 CEST by Polipo on archzor.localdomain:8118.

notably with all programs running now, tor, polipo, privoxy (and by now dansguardian as well)..
I'm tired so I'll go asleep now, maybe I'll find something tomorrow in the logfiles or whatever, so far:
every kind of help is still very appreciated smile

²

/var/log/polipo/polipo.log
Disabling disk cache: No such file or directory
Couldn't bind: Address already in use
Couldn't establish listening socket: Address already in use
Couldn't bind: Address already in use

Last edited by deF291 (2011-04-23 03:13:48)

#2 2011-04-23 14:54:15

deF291

Re: having a few issues with several programs (tor / mpd / ccm..)

okay I've finally been able to get tor and all the other programs to work according to my plan wink the only thing that's still making problems is that iptables doesn't work as I want it to, when I start chromium without proxy settings privoxy doesn't seem to forward the information to polipo.. do I need to add another rule to iptables.rules in order for the program to know it has to reroute the information again or how can I get this to work? and is there any way to run rtorrent with proxy support? tongue

anyway, problem 2 and 3 are still to be solved.

and does anybody know where i can get a good dansguardian blacklist that was not designed for 6 year old children and for which I don't need to subscribe? I'm still getting these partypoker popups -.-

//e: with iptables it's the same thing as described in the first post. https works, http doesnt. I get the output "Invalid header received from client." on http sites. still no idea why though.. (and the https-version of torcheck.xenubite says i'm tor unprotected while starting the browser with iptables)

Last edited by deF291 (2011-04-23 16:16:31)

Board footer