You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-08 11:08:24

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

The AUR needs a forum section (rather than visa versa)

The AUR needs everyone working together to suceed.  We need the users to put their PKGBUILDs in, do their voting and get some feedback on the interface and processes from the users.

To do this we have the tur-users mailing list, which is great for contacting the TUs directly but maybe we need something more to get it going on this side of the community.

Here are my proposals:

Either:
· Change the "Arch Packaging" section title to "AUR and Arch Packaging"
· Add a new AUR sectionWhatever is choosen we then:
· Move "AUR Package Requests" to the new location
· add an AUR discussion and feedback board and move all the current AUR discussion thread there - headlined with a sticky linking to the tur-list and specifying what should be posted in the forums and what would be better related straight to the list - this reduces likelihood of people mailing the list for little reason.
· add an AUR support forum - again headlined with a sticky to the AUR docs and any guidelines that get added to the wiki.  This will become the source of AUR FAQ for inclusion in the docs
Personally I'd like to see this happen ASAP.

#2 2005-06-08 14:43:56

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: The AUR needs a forum section (rather than visa versa)

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Either:
· Move "AUR Package Requests" to the new location
· add an AUR discussion and feedback board and move all the current AUR discussion thread there - headlined with a sticky linking to the tur-list and specifying what should be posted in the forums and what would be better related straight to the list - this reduces likelihood of people mailing the list for little reason.
· add an AUR support forum - again headlined with a sticky to the AUR docs and any guidelines that get added to the wiki.  This will become the source of AUR FAQ for inclusion in the docs
Personally I'd like to see this happen ASAP.

These are not bad ideas, if you all feel that this will help better the current situation. Let's be honest guys, most anything is better than the current situation. I don't know about an AUR support forum, I was thinking about writing the docs myself, and probably will this coming weekend. Support for the AUR is intended to happen in the bugtracker, not the forums. You might add a sticky about that too, btw.

Another thing is that it might (no garauntee) actually get me to read the forums again, being that there is one board to come read, rather than parsing through all the other threads around here.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#3 2005-06-08 14:53:03

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

being that there is one board to come read, rather than parsing through all the other threads around here

that is one of the major aims and the bugtracker link did also cross my mind.

the support forum I envisioned was to catch people asking already answer questions on the mailing list - trying to save you guys some work - i guess that maybe a whole baord for it might not be necessary - maybe just another sticky in the discussion forum?

#4 2005-06-09 17:18:20

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I need more feedback on this guys - it is probably going to be implemented on Sunday so we need to decide how it should be done!

#5 2005-06-09 17:24:03

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I agree. One other thing too, I believe that we should discourage people from posting new packages in AUR to the forums. Currently these go in AUR Requests, mostly, though some people put them in User Contrib and making packages and other poor choices. I don't think such posts need to be made on the forum at all. Instead, AUR should provide a list of newly submitted packages and if people are interested, they can browse that list instead.

I'm willing to help out with documenting AUR.

I'm on tur-users now, so can respond to queries there.

Dusty

#6 2005-06-09 17:46:01

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Dusty wrote:

One other thing too, I believe that we should discourage people from posting new packages in AUR to the forums.

I disagree. I don't see why it is a bad thing that people post about their new packages on the forum.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#7 2005-06-09 22:14:51

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

I just wrote the new package notify script today. I'm pretty sure it's going to come out with the next release of the AUR. So now those of you who checked "notify me of new packages" will actually start getting emails. big_smile
I set it up to be a daily batch (every 24 hours) it'll run off of a cronjob.
Any input..now is the time.

#8 2005-06-09 22:56:37

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

How about being notified if someone leaves a comment on a package uploaded by you. I noticed today that there were 3 comments on one of my packages, that I had no idea were there.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2005-06-09 22:57:49

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

I check that one into the subversion yesterday big_smile

#10 2005-06-09 23:41:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

cactus wrote:

I disagree. I don't see why it is a bad thing that people post about their new packages on the forum.

clutter... theoretically, discussion of the package can go in the package's comments on AUR, right. If there is a specific issue with a new package, or question, or a reason to have somebody test it, then *maybe* it should be posted to the forum, but chronic release notes seems kind of pointless and messy to me.

Dusty

#11 2005-06-10 00:47:38

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Dusty wrote:
cactus wrote:

clutter... theoretically, discussion of the package can go in the package's comments on AUR, right. If there is a specific issue with a new package, or question, or a reason to have somebody test it, then *maybe* it should be posted to the forum, but chronic release notes seems kind of pointless and messy to me.

Dusty

Dusty is correct. We do have comments in the AUR for a reason.

#12 2005-06-10 01:05:23

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I was thinking more about usage scenarios..like.
"I found this package on the aur, and cannot get it to work. These are the steps I took, can somebody help me?"

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#13 2005-06-10 01:39:49

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That kind of question is ok in the forums, although it may be more sensible to post to AUR comments because the original packager will be notified (I think????)  I was talking about "I packaged  foo.x.y its in AUR. Those kind of posts are the clutter ones.

Dusty

#14 2005-06-10 01:45:15

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

aha. good clarification. I agree with that then.
big_smile

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#15 2005-06-10 07:59:21

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

as do I - we should definitely work on some more solid guidelines for how people should use the forums in realtion to the AUR

What about the forum format I proposed above?  Comments? Are there any other boards that could go under an AUR heading?

#16 2005-06-10 08:26:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

They seem fine for a first run. Can always add/remove/move more if need be.

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#17 2005-06-10 08:47:13

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

should the making packages section go under the AUR section?  I imagine a majority of people posting there will want to add their pkgs to the AUR so it might make sense - it also gives us oldies the opportunity to impart decent pkging practice on them if they aren't reading the guidelines properly

#18 2005-06-10 11:45:40

pjmattal
Forum Fellow

I want to add that I, like Simo, would also really appreciate a specific board for AUR in the forum.

And generally I would suggest that the forums NOT be a place to announce new packages. Let's fix our system to make that work. The thing that forums are good at is providing a framework for discussion, like this.

Lastly, I want to add that Simo, some time ago, did some work on code for an RSS feed for AUR updates. I think that coupled with something on the front page of AUR in addition to the new email functionality should provide plenty of nice ways to be notified of new packages.

(I should mention that the RSS functionality is not yet rolled out. But I want to do that soon.)

#19 2005-06-10 12:48:19

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

ace, cheers P

#20 2005-06-12 21:14:37

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

Here are my proposals:

Either:
[list][*] Move "AUR Package Requests" to the new location
[*] add an AUR discussion and feedback board and move all the current AUR discussion thread there
[*] add an AUR support forum -

Done!

Markku

#21 2005-06-12 21:41:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

wo-hoo!

um - i think it should be "AUR and Arch Packaging" rather than "Arch and AUR Packaging"

we'll be needing mod privledges for that too please, mate smile

We discussed the maybe the support forum was a bad idea BUT as it stands it DOES look like a good idea for people to post their if they are having probs with AUR pkgs rather than the AUR itself

#22 2005-06-12 21:41:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

and can we move the AUR boards to the top of that section please smile

#23 2005-06-13 03:22:26

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

and can we move the AUR boards to the top of that section please smile

All forums are within a structural system decided some time ago. If AUR is in Contribution section (category), where actually it should be, then no problem. But its now in one of the Arch sections where Arch forums have priority. How about having a separate section for AUR?

Markku

#24 2005-06-13 08:35:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

that's ok with me - i suggested that it should be either the way it is now OR a separate section for AUR smile

Board footer