You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-10 12:37:08

scarecrow

Arch kernels 2.6.11.X and VMware 5

To cut a long story short- it works, more or less as described in the wiki. But still there is a not-so-minor annoyance:
The guest OS optical devices can be properly started only in legacy mode. This is OK for using them as readers, but unacceptable for using them as recorders under the Guest OS.
VMware support (where Arch is not supported) attributes the problem to the new (2.6.8+) kernels code, and while its investigated, they suggest either using 2.6.7 and earlier, or "fixing the kernel yourself".
I wouldn't mind "fixing it" myself, but I have no clue about the needed patch. And I can also mention that legacy mode is definitely not needed in 2 other distros which use a patched 2.6.11.X kernel- namely Mandriva 2005LE and Kanotix 2005.3
Does anyone have a clue which kernel patch is needed to bypass this annoyance?

Microshaft delenda est

#2 2005-06-10 14:32:50

scarecrow

Re: Arch kernels 2.6.11.X and VMware 5

I forgot to mention that the stock kernel 2.6.12-rc6-mm1 behaves identically- the only difference is that it needs the Vmware any-any patch (update 91) being run before applying the configuration script.

Microshaft delenda est

#3 2005-07-02 13:04:35

scarecrow

Re: Arch kernels 2.6.11.X and VMware 5

Reporting here myself, as noone had a clue- for a good reason, it seems.
The failure was due to a few performance hacks I had made (including limiting the virtual consoles). Once the "hacks" were removed, Vmware is running just fine, with no need for legacy mode for optical drives. I just have to set up the virtual network manually, instead of relying to the VMWare autodetection, which of course is not a big deal.
The only problem is powering the VM at fullscreen mode, or shutting it down directly from fullscreen mode, but this is (IMHO) pretty insignificant.
The moral of the story: Don't hack your system if you are not a hacker...

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer