You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-27 13:34:37

multiphrenic
Website

Wiki Talk Clean Ups?

Hello!

Recent Arch convert, already in love with the forums/wiki and thought I would contribute as much as possible as I go through various guides and see how well they still work. I've already made a few edits and suggestions but had a question about the Wiki Talk pages. Is there a policy on its clean up?

Specifically referring to the Beginner's Guide Talk Page. Some old suggestions have clearly been taken into account (the fstab notail option has been removed).

Should we strike these out, or delete them altogether?

Thanks!

#2 2011-04-27 14:22:24

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Wiki Talk Clean Ups?

Imo deleting would be bad, striking out or better, colour coding would be better. Eg green for implimented, red for not implimented etc

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-04-27 18:22:56

multiphrenic
Website

I'm okay with either, or even a subcategory for fulfilled requests on the page, but ideally we'd want a site-wide best practice so we're all doing the same thing..

#4 2011-04-27 19:13:52

karol
Archivist

multiphrenic wrote:

I'm okay with either, or even a subcategory for fulfilled requests on the page, but ideally we'd want a site-wide best practice so we're all doing the same thing..

Why the are so many linux distros? Because folks can't be forced to do the same thing. This applies to our wiki too.
If you want, you can start an RFC / draft of such best practices on your user (sub)page. It's not to say that it will be ruled into law, but it may be.

#5 2011-04-27 19:42:04

pointone
Wiki Admin

Traditionally, outdated requests are first struck-out and later removed altogether. Like the distro, ArchWiki is a "rolling-release" and should only contain current information. The history can always be accessed through the history tab.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#6 2011-04-27 20:24:56

multiphrenic
Website

pointone wrote:

Traditionally, outdated requests are first struck-out and later removed altogether. Like the distro, ArchWiki is a "rolling-release" and should only contain current information. The history can always be accessed through the history tab.

This is great, thank you. What are your thoughts on a best-practice article? I don't want to suggest that we should force everyone to do things one way, but some standard templates / ideas might be beneficial to the Wiki as a whole. A standard hardware report would be nice, for example, as the various laptop pages seem to be all over the place.

Again, not everyone needs to follow it, but if it's available, I think people would use. I'd be happy to sketch out some templates, best practices etc. and put it out there for discussion.

#7 2011-04-28 03:01:05

pointone
Wiki Admin

I've been meaning to create a style guide for a while now, as well as a number of page templates. See Page Templates Guide for a draft that was begun in 2006. Unfortunately, I currently lack the time to dedicate to these and other initiatives. Anything you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Consider improving/expanding Help:Editing to include best-practices, as well.

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#8 2011-06-14 18:45:39

karol
Archivist

Is this enough or should I sign such edits too and add a specific date on the page (so you don't have to check in the history) e.g. unless anyone objects, remove after 15 July 2011?

#9 2011-07-02 04:31:03

filam
Wiki Maintainer
Website

karol, I would sign and date any change made to a talk page, especially when editing or modifying another user's comment. In the case you linked to I would simply insert something like the following below the original message.

::The preceding comment is outdated. I'd like to suggest it be removed. ~~~~

Adding a date is important since it allows another user to establish if a reasonable amount of time has passed since it was marked outdated.

However, I would suggest for smaller articles (with uncluttered talk pages) that we not remove comments. Striking them out is certainly helpful, but in the case of the Bluetooth Headset article the removal of a single comment isn't very beneficial, and could detract from the article. As for larger articles, like the Beginner's Guide, I would recommend archiving old comments. Assuming that very few articles have cluttered talk pages, a policy of archiving, like on Wikipedia, wouldn't be hard to implement. Although you can reconstruct discussions from the history tab it can be really annoying. Additionally, setting rules about what comments can or should be removed would be very difficult, especially since there isn't anything to base those rules on.

Last edited by filam (2011-07-02 04:32:13)

Board footer