You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-27 21:40:11

gunnihinn

Terminal unresponsive [solved]

My terminal (xterm, urxvt, gnome-terminal and virtual terminal) doesn't respond to commands anymore. When I enter any command, for example "ls", it simply hangs and returns no output. When I try Ctrl + c to interrupt it, it prints "^C" and continues hanging.

This started today, in a work meeting, after someone passed me a usb key with a .pptx document on it that I opened with OpenOffice. Restarting has no effect. I thought this might be my window manager (evilwm), so I reverted to Gnome, and eventually virtual terminals and the Fallback kernel. This makes no difference. I have made no updates to my system recently, and my computer worked fine until now.

And here is where it gets really weird: everything that doesn't rely on the terminal works fine. I can login with evilwm or gnome and use any gui program like nothing was wrong (obviously gnome works better). I can manage wireless connections, edit text files, use the file manager, etc.

Normally I am run a fairly bare system, with evilwm, wicd, mpd, hal, icrond and crond as daemons. I'd post logs and outputs, but frankly I'm completely at a loss as to what might be useful and not, and also, I'm just not sure how to go about it without the terminal to pipe output around.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Seeing as nautilus works I could just back up on a usb drive and nuke the whole thing, but I don't want to do just yet because 1) why did this happen, and what do I do if it happens again?, and 2) what if this was caused by a virus on the usb stick (from a windows machine) and will infect my usb drive?

Last edited by gunnihinn (2011-04-28 07:44:48)

#2 2011-04-27 22:03:58

the sad clown

Re: Terminal unresponsive [solved]

Have you checked your bashrc?  If it is across all emulators, it is probably bash that is having the problem.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2011-04-28 07:44:23

gunnihinn

Re: Terminal unresponsive [solved]

Yes! .bashrc was the problem. I exchanged mine for one doing... well, nothing, and that solved the problem. Thanks for that. smile

This still leaves a couple of questions open, most notably What is this i don't even. I'll check the lines in the old one by hand, maybe one of them is buggy and it only just showed up now.

Board footer