You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-28 22:35:57

Cluckyx

[SOLVED] Trying to install GNOME3, everything going wrong :(

OK, so here is the dilemma. Being the adventurous sort. I thought I'd try out GNOME3. I followed the instructions on the wiki from updating form 2.33, but pacman killed off my install right in the middle (I cannot paste anything because I'm posting from a separate laptop.), lacking the luxury of being able to scroll up, it seemed to be kicking off about 2 corrupt libraries that were ruining everything.

ldconfig: /usr/lib/libwebgtk3.0.so.0 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes at the start

Libpeas and libwebkitGTK3.0. I was able to uninstall and reinstall libpeas with no real problems. But webkit-gtk is handing me my ass on a plate. I cannot find it's parent package. Google reveals some vague references on a slackware forum and a file archive and info about the lib. But nothing related to Arch and especially not the package I'm supposed to find it in. As I started to get more and more erratic trying to find whatever package this lib was from, I eventually decided to just start fresh and uninstall Everything GNOME and gtk related. and go at it from the approach from a fresh install.
Low and behold, webkitgtk is still there spamming me with errors and by the looks of things causing pacman to stop prematurely, it does this on Syncs and removes. I force my way through the installs not really expecting it to work, but just curious as to wtf might be going on. After Arch is insistent that GNOME 3 and all it's dependencies are installed, I reboot for launch. the GDM starts and dies 5 times in quick succession and the reaches it's limit.

No error messages, no nothing. I am just lost now.

Any pointers on the probably very stupid mistake I am making would be very helpful. It is worth nothing that while upgrading and then installing, I followed the Arch Wiki guides for GNOME3 to the letter.

Last edited by Cluckyx (2011-04-29 12:38:17)

#2 2011-04-28 23:36:20

Wey

Re: [SOLVED] Trying to install GNOME3, everything going wrong :(

Hello Cluckyx,
i'm not entirely sure if i was able to follow your discription. Regarding the parent package, a pacman -Qo on the file you posted should reveal it. However, the log-files of pacman (as you said, you lacked the ability to scroll up during the install process) and xorg/gdm should be of your interest. Additionally, can you define "spamming me with errors"...? Also, try to launch gnome directly from a tty following this wiki to get the debug output right at your hands.
Much luck on your future gnome3-adventures and keep it up wink

#3 2011-04-28 23:53:33

Cluckyx

by "spamming me with errors" that error was repeated as pasted inbetween EVERY PACKAGE INSTALL:

Package Foo - [############]
ERROR
Package Bar - [############]
ERROR

ad infinitum.

Sorry for the vagueness of my post, but literally aside from that very repetitive error, I am receiving no other nice easily searchable errors or error codes.

#4 2011-04-29 00:00:54

lucke

If you haven't figured it out yet, libwebkitgtk-3.0.so  is owned by libwebkit3, so "pacman -S libwebkit3" first. Then run "ldconfig" manually to see if the error persists.

#5 2011-04-29 00:54:25

Cluckyx

That -Qo switch tip did the trick and I managed to reinstall the corrupted library, but I still have the same problem as before, being launching GDM and it instantly crashing out. And it's writing nothing to /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

In the interests of preempting questions:

I did a complete Gnome uninstall/reinstall.
gdm launches through inittab as opposed to daemon
The last entry to the Xorg log was roughly a week ago

Thankyou to everyone who has helped so far, you all rock.

#6 2011-04-29 01:00:29

lucke

To see the error, try starting gnome using startx - Wey linked you to the wiki article with instructions.

#7 2011-04-29 10:16:09

Cluckyx

Ok I found the problem xkbkeyboard had corrupted so I just had to reinstall xorg-xkbcomp.

Thanks for your help and patience guys, it got to the point where it hit a time last night and my brain stopped working.

You all rock.

This is also made patently obvious by the fact that I should have posted this in  the testing forum. Apologies all round.

Last edited by Cluckyx (2011-04-29 11:57:08)

Board footer