You are not logged in.

#501 2011-03-25 08:51:46

mhertz

Re: packer - New bash aur+pacman wrapper (replaces poorly written yaourt)

@ngoonee and hagabaka

Please check the solution given in previous post #483 on the previous page.

@hagabaka's second question

Packer handles VCS packages during updates, based on if the --devel parameter is given or not.

If it's given, then VCS packages are rebuild and reinstalled, and the revision isn't checked.

Without --devel, then VCS packages are only rebuilt and reinstalled, if the version number is bumped.

Packer checks for VCS packages, by parsing the pkgbuilds for known VCS vars, instead of just going by package name, which isn't always to be trusted, like in e.g. packer's own case, which isn't named packer-git, but just packer... (aurget does it by package name btw...)

Last edited by mhertz (2011-03-25 08:55:27)

#502 2011-03-25 10:18:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

mhertz wrote:

@ngoonee and hagabaka

That answers a totally different question. I'd like to change the build directory. Two main reasons:-

1. Slow internet connection means that its worth my while to keep old downloads around for rebuilds on updated PKGBUILDs (without version change) or lib-related rebuilds.
2. Cloning some git/svn repos is very very slow, pulling updates is normally much faster.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#503 2011-03-25 10:26:51

X-dark
Website

ngoonee wrote:
mhertz wrote:

@ngoonee and hagabaka

That answers a totally different question. I'd like to change the build directory. Two main reasons:-

1. Slow internet connection means that its worth my while to keep old downloads around for rebuilds on updated PKGBUILDs (without version change) or lib-related rebuilds.
2. Cloning some git/svn repos is very very slow, pulling updates is normally much faster.

Change the content of "dir" var at the beginning of the "aurinstall" function.

Cedric Girard

#504 2011-03-25 11:37:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

X-dark wrote:
ngoonee wrote:
mhertz wrote:

@ngoonee and hagabaka

Oh well, was hoping there's a better way to do that (setting an env variable/config file is much preferable to editing a script that will get updated anyway).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#505 2011-03-25 12:01:53

mhertz

@ngoonee

Sorry about that, I misunderstood you...

CU, Martin.

#506 2011-03-25 12:49:45

X-dark
Website

ngoonee wrote:
X-dark wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Oh well, was hoping there's a better way to do that (setting an env variable/config file is much preferable to editing a script that will get updated anyway).

I've stopped doing this but now that I think of it, the usage of TMPDIR var has been implemented since. I guess that if you set TMPDIR to something else than /tmp you may be able to keep your files between reboot.

Cedric Girard

#507 2011-03-25 16:32:01

milomouse
Website

Hello, first time trying packer and have an issue.  I did a typical packer -Syu and it showed an update for rsstail and it downloaded, compiled, packaged and attempted to install but it tried installing old version, I think, and said there were duplicate targets.

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
Edit rsstail PKGBUILD with $EDITOR? [Y/n] y
==> Making package: rsstail 1.7-1 (Fri Mar 25 12:11:25 EDT 2011)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Downloading rsstail-1.7.tgz...
Preparing to contact and receive header from "www.vanheusden.com".
  http://www.vanheusden.com/rsstail/rsstail-1.7.tgz
-- [[
-- [[ snipped since i have a very verbose Xfercommand but everything downloaded correctly.
-- [[
finished: redirs=0/3 time=0.518 average=9572.000
==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    rsstail-1.7.tgz ... Passed
==> Extracting Sources...
  -> Extracting rsstail-1.7.tgz with bsdtar
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting build()...
cc -O2 -Wall -DVERSION=\"1.7\" -g   -c -o r2t.o r2t.c
r2t.c: In function ‘main’:
r2t.c:152:11: warning: unused variable ‘max_age’
r2t.c:150:30: warning: unused variable ‘dummy’
cc -Wall -W r2t.o -lmrss -g -o rsstail
#
# Oh, blatant plug: http://keetweej.vanheusden.com/wishlist.html
cp rsstail /tmp/packerbuild-1009/rsstail/rsstail/pkg/usr/bin
cp rsstail.1 /tmp/packerbuild-1009/rsstail/rsstail/pkg/usr/man/man1/
==> Tidying install...
  -> Purging other files...
  -> Compressing man and info pages...
  -> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...
==> Creating package...
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...
  -> Compressing package...
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Finished making: rsstail 1.7-1 (Fri Mar 25 12:11:27 EDT 2011)
warning: rsstail-1.6-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
error: '/var/cache/packages/makepkg/rsstail-1.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz': duplicate target
% 
% ls /var/cache/packages/makepkg/rsstail*
/var/cache/packages/makepkg/rsstail-1.6-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
/var/cache/packages/makepkg/rsstail-1.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

I tried installing another program I had in cache (same version) and it compiled and reinstalled fine, also tried a package I never installed before and it works fine too.  Only problem is when updating to a new version when an older version resides in cache, not sure why though.  Any ideas or information you need, let me know.  Thanks.  Packer seems great and is surprisingly fast.

#508 2011-03-25 16:38:35

X-dark
Website

milomouse wrote:

Hello, first time trying packer and have an issue.  I did a typical packer -Syu and it showed an update for rsstail and it downloaded, compiled, packaged and attempted to install but it tried installing old version, I think, and said there were duplicate targets. [...]
I tried installing another program I had in cache (same version) and it compiled and reinstalled fine, also tried a package I never installed before and it works fine too.  Only problem is when updating to a new version when an older version resides in cache, not sure why though.  Any ideas or information you need, let me know.  Thanks.  Packer seems great and is surprisingly fast.

Never had this problem. However packer is not very strong when it comes to packages with identical names in different repo.

Cedric Girard

#509 2011-03-25 16:44:14

outerdark

milomouse wrote:

Hello, first time trying packer and have an issue.  I did a typical packer -Syu and it showed an update for rsstail and it downloaded, compiled, packaged and attempted to install but it tried installing old version, I think, and said there were duplicate targets.

Hi, i ran into the same problem, see post #499

#510 2011-03-25 16:51:26

milomouse
Website

Ah, sorry.  Should've checked all the pages before posting.  I'll try the patch, thanks outerdark.
Edit: patch works as it should, I appreciate it.

Last edited by milomouse (2011-03-25 16:59:55)

#511 2011-03-25 20:32:10

chneukirchen

An "issue" since pacman 3.5:

% packer -S sc
warning: sc-7.16-3
1.3.0-1
1.0.10-1
2.0.1-1
4.0.3-11
1.2.1-1
0.8-4 is up to date -- reinstalling

Aur Targets    (1): sc

The numbers match with:

% packer -Ss "sc" | grep /sc |grep installed
extra/schedtool 1.3.0-1 [installed]
extra/schroedinger 1.0.10-1 [installed]
extra/scons 2.0.1-1 [installed]
extra/screen 4.0.3-11 [installed]
extra/scrnsaverproto 1.2.1-1 [installed]
extra/scrot 0.8-4 [installed]

Rest works, though.

#512 2011-03-27 23:44:09

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Packer got slower with the pacman 3.5 release.  This makes a few things much faster.  Needs some testing though.

Github is being dumb, so here is a diff:
http://kmkeen.com/tmp/parallel_finddeps.patch

(Bruenig, this is slightly different than the patch I emailed you.)

Last edited by keenerd (2011-03-27 23:47:13)

#513 2011-04-16 01:37:28

tjwoosta

Please forgive me if someone has already answered this, but is there any hope of having packer show [INSTALLED] for installed aur packages?

#514 2011-04-16 05:59:54

toad
Website

What's wrong with pacman -Qm?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#515 2011-04-20 06:49:02

tjwoosta

toad wrote:

What's wrong with pacman -Qm?

When searching for something its nice to see which stuff in the results are already installed, rather then manually comparing the search results with the output of pacman -Qm.  Pacman does it for the binary repos, so why shouldnt packer continue it for the aur results? This is the only thing keeping me using yaourt.

#516 2011-04-20 07:33:29

toad
Website

Good point, hadn't thought of that...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#517 2011-04-30 14:18:46

essence-of-foo

It would be very useful if packer displayed the number of votes on a package and whether it is marked out of date. This is really useful if there are several packages for one software in the AUR.

And it would be cool to display the package's comments as well when looking at an AUR package. But that's really an advanced feature.

#518 2011-04-30 14:58:56

mhertz

A couple of feature-requests for packer:

1. A -Syuu option in addition to the normal -Syu one, since when using testing, then sometimes packages are downgraded like e.g. a little while ago then wget 1.12-6 where downgraded to 1.12-5, which packer dosen't pick up on and leaves the buggy 1.12-6, and where having to run pacman -Syuu additionally afterwards...

currently, as a workaround I have the following in my upgrade alias: pacupg='sudo pacman -Syuu --noconfirm && packer -Syu --devel --auronly && sudo pkgcacheclean'.

I know I can easilly fix the packer code myself, but I preffer to use "vanilla" packages, so as to not loose modifications upon updates, like with packer which is updated everytime an upgrade with --devel is used, since it's a git package...

2. bauerbill had a really nice option which was the ability to auto-patch aur packages before install, which would be great for things like e.g. dwm, catwm and e.g. just to add --without-xft automatically to ratpoison-git etc. Packer could then e.g. have a --autopatch [pkgnames] option together with a --patchdir [path] option, which when supplied would make packer look in a special folder(patchdir) for subfolders with the same name as the packages defined to be patched(with --autopatch [pkgnames]), and in those subfolders there would be the relevant patches and additions that should be auto-patched/applied before installing them!

Heres the options described from bauerbill's man page:

--autopatch [pkgnames]
          Automatically  apply  patches  in     the PatchDir to PKGBUILDs and
          install  files  when  trusting  the  PKGBUILDs.  If  the    prompt
          appears, the patch is not applied and it is left to the user.

This option may be repeated to pass multiple values.

--patch-dir <path>
          The  PatchDir should be a directory with the same nested hierar‐
          chy as the BuildDir. It will be checked for  corresponding  PKG‐
          BUILD  and install file patches to apply before sourcing a given
          PKGBUILD.

My first feature-request would be nice to get implemented, but the second one, imho would trully be an absolutelly phenominal addition to packer! (Especially now where bauerbill isn't developed anymore and not compatible with newest pacman)

Last edited by mhertz (2011-05-01 12:02:39)

#519 2011-05-01 21:49:41

X-dark
Website

essence-of-foo wrote:

It would be very useful if packer displayed the number of votes on a package and whether it is marked out of date. This is really useful if there are several packages for one software in the AUR.

And it would be cool to display the package's comments as well when looking at an AUR package. But that's really an advanced feature.

These features have been requested in the past. They are not compatible with the speed requirement behind packer concept.

Cedric Girard

#520 2011-05-01 22:16:15

mhertz

@essence-of-foo

Packer allready reports out-of-date warnings...

#521 2011-05-05 13:01:14

Cadynum

Great job with packer! I have one feature request though: Support PKGEXT='.pkg.tar'.
It's nice because it saves the time it takes to compress and decompress the package, which doesn't serve any purpose when you're just doing it for yourself.

Currently it gives this error:

error: 'dzen2-xft-xpm-xinerama-svn-*.pkg.tar.*': cannot open package file

#522 2011-05-05 18:42:10

unikum
Website

Thanks for this useful utility. I have one request: function like 'yaourt -Sb <package>', which build any package from source. It's very useful.

Last edited by unikum (2011-05-05 18:42:42)

#523 2011-05-05 22:49:17

mhertz

In the meantime, you can archive requested functionality by selecting install, selecting no to install, and retrieve the built package from /tmp...

Also, you can write a function/alias which runs 'packer -G <package>' to download and extract the pkgbuild and sourcefiles, and then afterwards runs 'makepkg' to build the package, like e.g.:

function pacbuild() {
    packer -G $1 && cd $1 && makepkg}

Last edited by mhertz (2011-05-05 23:13:50)

#524 2011-05-06 02:13:08

unikum
Website

@mhertz: you are right, but it is not comfortably.

#525 2011-05-06 03:01:39

mhertz

I didn't mean to belittle your feature-request, but just wanted to proposse an alternative solution untill/if bruenig implements it...

(The simple function I wrote should be placed in .bashrc, and then packages can be downloaded and built by running 'pacbuild <package>'...)

Board footer