You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-16 07:31:42

xylosper

No monitor output

I've updated the arch on my laptop, and I've got a problem while booting.
At first, booting process looks good, but, suddenly, the monitor do not show anything.
When the sounds from HDD stopped, (My arch does not start 'startx' automatically) I tried to login and halt, then it works well, so, I think it's just problem of monitor output.
However, I cannot see anything, so I can do nothing.
What should I do?

#2 2011-04-16 07:36:10

jeslinmx

Re: No monitor output

Do you happen to have any recollection what was updated?
If all else fails, I would suggest reinstalling, but wait for the advanced users to kick in first since they probably have an idea.

Lenovo Y450 + Arch x86_64 dual boot with Windows 7 + Openbox standalone + Arch default kernel + Nouveau + yours truly = A lot of *****in' in the Arch Forums.

#3 2011-04-16 11:43:17

Pajaro

This may apply to other drivers other than NVIDIA, but if you have an nvidia graphics card almost for sure it will be the case.

I tried nouveau driver yesterday, and I had a similir situation. It was booting fine and suddently during boot the screen god crazy and freezed after a few seconds. There were two solutions:
1. Add nouveau driver to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf in the DRIVERS list and run "mkinitcpio -p kernel26"
2. Install official nvidia driver.

Of course, since you can't boot, to access your files you have two other options:
1. Boot with a live cd or with archlinux install cd.
2. [i don't know if it applies to arch]: try adding nomodeset to grub kernel parameters (press e, kernel line, e again, add nomodeset in the end)

In my case nouveau driver is unusable because it keeps graphic card fans at 100% all the time (unbearable noise), and since the nvidia driver is going to be removed from arch because it is not compatible with xorg i will be stuck with the current version of xorg until nvidia updates its driver. I was wrong, I didn't know there were 2 legacy drivers for nvidia. official nvidia driver is still there.

Last edited by Pajaro (2011-04-16 11:57:13)

#4 2011-04-30 16:34:27

xylosper

Thank you for replying.

However, I've figured out that there's some relation with xf86-input-evdev.
The black out occurs just next of output of evdev blah blah message, so I've tried removing xf86-input-evdev, then the problem disappeared.
Is there any known issue about evdev?

Board footer