You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-14 07:15:37

W.F.Cody

LLL - building Linux with LLVM/Clang [Solved]

Hi all

I have attempted to package the LLL tool chain in AUR
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lll- … t/PKGBUILD

In a way, I find it unsatisfactory big and bulky (I am more than willing to disown it to let someone more qualified take over), since both Linux and LLVM are built in the same package.

I guess it would be nicer with a (self-hosting) LLVM package and a Linux-LLL package depending on it....

If anyone got ideas for improvements of the current package, I am all ears.
I think it would be pretty cool to test out a Clang-compiled kernel and from the latest compiler benchmarks (http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.p … al-results), it seems like Clang is almost as good as GCC or better when optimization flags are set.

Last edited by W.F.Cody (2011-04-27 07:05:57)

My AUR packages
Any package of mine is up for grabs. If you think you could mantain it better - just contact me!

#2 2011-02-24 12:27:01

W.F.Cody

Re: LLL - building Linux with LLVM/Clang [Solved]

Recent updates on Clang-compiled linux can be found at the bug tracker.

http://llvm.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=4068

It seems to be revived at the moment, I will attempt to re-make my current PKGBUILD into 3 sepparate ones (LLVM, kernel source and kernel compile).

If anyone more competent want to step up to do it, I am more than willing to disown my current PKGBUILD.

My AUR packages
Any package of mine is up for grabs. If you think you could mantain it better - just contact me!

#3 2011-04-27 07:05:29

W.F.Cody

This has now (thanks to the lll-project git repository) now been solved (I think) smile

The LLVM/Clang patched to be able to compile linux can be found at:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=45733

The Linux kernel patched to be able to be compiled by LLVM/Clang can be found at:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48519

I have not yet had time to try to compile the linux kernel so there may have to be some changes to that package. Let me know if you have some suggested improvements smile

Have fun!

My AUR packages

#4 2011-04-30 09:14:51

W.F.Cody

Update: Kernel compiles and boots!

Have fun smile

My AUR packages

#5 2011-04-30 13:13:49

Stalafin

What's the performance like? Can you make a comparison (or is there one somewhere online)?

#6 2011-04-30 19:08:46

W.F.Cody

Stalafin wrote:

What's the performance like? Can you make a comparison (or is there one somewhere online)?

I am running it right now. My spontaneous feeling is that it runs very smoothly and nice. Whether this is due to optimization flags used in this build (-Os -mtune=native) or the compiler compared to the binary Arch kernels I do not know.

I might also be biased...

If anyone knows of a good benchmark and who can make relevant comparisons between kernels, that would be very interesting smile

The AURs are out there so independent analyses can be made...

My AUR packages

#7 2011-04-30 20:10:42

Grinch

I doubt the kernel is a very good candidate for compiler performance comparison since it's so low latency and relies heavily on compiler extensions to help compilers generate as efficient code as possible. Still great seeing clang able to build the kernel (albeit with patches). GCC and Clang/LLVM makes for great (non-hostile) competition which will benefit end users of both packages.

#8 2011-05-02 05:47:28

W.F.Cody

Grinch wrote:

GCC and Clang/LLVM makes for great (non-hostile) competition which will benefit end users of both packages.

Exactly the way I think smile
Just because there is competition does not mean that there needs to be hostility. The more the merrier!

- KDE is better thanks to Gnome
- Linux is better thanks to *BSD, illumos, Plan9, Hurd... etc
- X will hopefully get better thanks to Wayland
- distro "A" is better thanks to distro "B" (and "C", "D",...)

With more choice and diversity, people are free to experiment and find the stuff that works best for them and everybody wins.

My AUR packages

Board footer