You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-01 19:21:56

dodo3773

[Solved] Alt Right Click In Gnome 3 Panel Fallback Mode

I was adding some applets and launchers with alt+right click but then when I rebooted my computer the functionality disapeared. Is it a key or something that I need to change? I do not know what I did to get it working in the first place. I was getting close to having my panel the way I like it. How do I get this ability back? If anyone knows please help.

Edit:  The problem seemed to have resolved itself somehow. I have been all over the map with different WMs and DEs and after reinstalling a bunch of stuff it works again.

Last edited by dodo3773 (2011-05-04 19:24:31)

#2 2011-05-11 05:51:17

Niavlys

Re: [Solved] Alt Right Click In Gnome 3 Panel Fallback Mode

I tried setting apps>metacity>general>mouse_button_modifier back to <Alt> and it worked well! I'm (was) starting to like Gnome again… Unfortunately when I tried launching Openbox, Alt-RightClick didn't work anymore.
Why isn't gnome-panel customization managed by gnome-panel instead of metacity?? sad

#3 2011-05-11 06:01:19

dodo3773

Niavlys wrote:

I tried setting apps>metacity>general>mouse_button_modifier back to <Alt> and it worked well! I'm (was) starting to like Gnome again… Unfortunately when I tried launching Openbox, Alt-RightClick didn't work anymore.
Why isn't gnome-panel customization managed by gnome-panel instead of metacity?? sad

Thanks for pointing me to the appropriate key. I think that we may be in the same boat. I am using gnome-session as a DE / openbox for window manager / xcompmgr for compositing. Are you using gnome-panel outside of gnome as a DE or are you doing it like me? I am wondering if gnome-panel would work alright if openbox was the session. But then I feel like I would lose nautilus on my desktop. I really like nautilus mainly for the nautilus-scripts. Which way are you doing it?

#4 2011-05-11 13:04:22

Niavlys

dodo3773 wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to the appropriate key. I think that we may be in the same boat. I am using gnome-session as a DE / openbox for window manager / xcompmgr for compositing. Are you using gnome-panel outside of gnome as a DE or are you doing it like me? I am wondering if gnome-panel would work alright if openbox was the session. But then I feel like I would lose nautilus on my desktop. I really like nautilus mainly for the nautilus-scripts. Which way are you doing it?

I am doing it like you, using gnome as a DE, but launching openbox at gnome start (with gnome-session-properties, by the way I don't know where has gone the link to this tool in the menus) because gdm doesn't want to launch “GNOME/Openbox”. Maybe launching gnome-panel in an openbox session would work, but it will probably be difficult to recreate the entire Gnome desktop this way; desktop, notifications, and others… too complicated for me.

#5 2011-05-11 16:03:15

dodo3773

Niavlys wrote:

I am doing it like you, using gnome as a DE, but launching openbox at gnome start (with gnome-session-properties, by the way I don't know where has gone the link to this tool in the menus) because gdm doesn't want to launch “GNOME/Openbox”. Maybe launching gnome-panel in an openbox session would work, but it will probably be difficult to recreate the entire Gnome desktop this way; desktop, notifications, and others… too complicated for me.

Yeah that is the problem with gnome I guess. It wants to take over everything else. Not sure on the gnome-session-properties I use fusion-icon then a script to kill it after it loads openbox.

#6 2011-05-13 14:20:22

Niavlys

Now gnome-panel's behaviour becomes unpredictable on my laptop… At Gnome start, Alt-Right-click works well (as long as Metacity is running), and at some point it doesn't work anymore, I don't know why.

#7 2011-05-13 17:16:30

dodo3773

Niavlys wrote:

Now gnome-panel's behaviour becomes unpredictable on my laptop… At Gnome start, Alt-Right-click works well (as long as Metacity is running), and at some point it doesn't work anymore, I don't know why.

Yeah me too. I found I can remove stuff from the panel with dconf-editor by deleting the data from each part of the key that holds that objects information. But adding stuff no idea.

#8 2011-05-13 21:24:27

Niavlys

dodo3773 wrote:

Yeah me too. I found I can remove stuff from the panel with dconf-editor by deleting the data from each part of the key that holds that objects information. But adding stuff no idea.

At least I'm not alone… Very annoying bug (or is it a feature?), Gnome 3 in fallback mode could be great without it.

#9 2011-05-14 18:06:00

dodo3773

Niavlys wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

At least I'm not alone… Very annoying bug (or is it a feature?), Gnome 3 in fallback mode could be great without it.

Found another post and it seems this issue may be related to having number lock or caps lock on. I hit number lock on my keyboard and it worked.

#10 2011-08-28 16:07:55

kalinatek

Sorry for the necro guys. I have a GNOME 3 totally stock setup, and Alt+Right Click only works in Fallback mode. I can't find any other threads on this. What could cause it?

Thanks

#11 2011-08-28 16:16:22

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

@kalinatek
Please do not put a new request on an old, even solved thread. Open a new one on your own and link back here if needed.

Closing this one.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer