You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-01 14:27:44

Rayniac

[SOLVED] Audacious is a bit annoying

Everytime I start audacious I get this:audaciouserror.jpg
I definitely did not put it to autostart or anything. It shouldn't be running. And I think it isn't. Googling this did not yeld any results. If it helps at all, I use openbox with BMPanel2.

Pressing OK causes audacious to launch seemingly normally and It does work just fine and plays music beautifully, but this is just too annoying to put up with. I installed it normally with pacman -S audacious. Did I do something wrong or what? Do I need to make some adjustments somewhere?

Wait, there is more...

When audacious has been idle for a few minutes it tells me this:audaciouserror2.jpg

Why on earth would it want to do anything in there? Why doesn't it just want to create config files someplace else where it actually has permission to do so?

Launching audacious from the terminal gets me this:

[rayniac@doomsdaymachina Desktop]$ audacious
Could not create directory (/root/.config/audacious): Permission denied
Could not create directory (/root/.local/share/audacious/Plugins): Permission denied
Could not create directory (/root/.config/audacious/playlists): Permission denied
Cannot create /root/.config/audacious/lock: Permission denied.

(audacious:2174): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "clearlooks",

(audacious:2174): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "crux-engine",
(mcs_util.c:112) [mcs_create_directory]: mcs_create_directory(): mkdir '/root/.config': Permission denied
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Transport/mms.so): libmms.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/wavpack.so): libwavpack.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/cdaudio-ng.so): libcdio_cdda.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/sid.so): libsidplay.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/mtp_up.so): libmtp.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/lirc.so): liblirc_client.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Container/cue.so): libcue.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
pulseaudio: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused

** (audacious:2174): CRITICAL **: layout_save: assertion `handle' failed
(keyfile.c:198) [keyfile_write]: keyfile_write(): Failed to open `/root/.config/audacious/config.tmp' for writing: Permission denied

Now what I would like to know is:

Why does audacious want to access /root/.config directory when it could use /home/myusername/.config directory like decent programs do? Is this an error on my from my part (did I screw up the installation somehow?) or is it just how the program likes to do things?

Is it okay to just do:

# chmod 0776 /root/.config

or is that bad practice security wise?

Should I just switch to something else? I really like the simplicity of audacious. I don't want a player that displays album pictures and tries to organize my whole life.

That is all. Excuse my noobiness roll

Last edited by Rayniac (2011-05-01 18:51:39)

#2 2011-05-01 15:29:31

cybertorture

Re: [SOLVED] Audacious is a bit annoying

audacious does not use root as default user
check

cat .config/audacious/config | grep -i user

O' rly ? Ya rly Oo

#3 2011-05-01 17:32:44

jlindgren

Check what $HOME and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME are set to.

#4 2011-05-01 18:02:56

Rayniac

cybertorture wrote:

audacious does not use root as default user
check

cat .config/audacious/config | grep -i user

that doesn't return anything. guess that means that the word "user" wasn't found from the file?

jlindgren wrote:

Check what $HOME and $XDG_CONFIG_HOME are set to.

HOME=/home/rayniac
XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/home/rayniac/.config

this is as it should be, right?

Thank you for input guys, much appreciated. smile

However I still have no idea what's wrong...

#5 2011-05-01 18:15:22

jlindgren

Audacious uses g_get_user_config_dir(), which ought to be looking at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.  What does the following code print out?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <glib.h>
int main (void) {
   printf ("%s\n", g_get_user_config_dir ());
   return 0;
}

#6 2011-05-01 18:38:26

Rayniac

It seems that a simple reinstallation fixed this. I must have accidentally installed it as root...
104aa.jpg

sorry for taking your precious time hmm

*note to self: make sure you never install programs as root if it is not necessary*

Just out of curiosity though...

jlindgren wrote:

Audacious uses g_get_user_config_dir(), which ought to be looking at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.  What does the following code print out?

#include <stdio.h>
#include <glib.h>
int main (void) {
   printf ("%s\n", g_get_user_config_dir ());
   return 0;
}

How exactly would I check this? That code is must be C/C++ or something, right? Is there some easy and fast method for compiling and running that in linux? I know, I should probably check google...

thank you all smile

#7 2011-05-01 21:18:47

jlindgren

You could save it as test.c and run:

$ gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs glib-2.0` -o test test.c
$ ./test

Board footer