You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-02 12:17:24

mcalex

audio weirdness

Hi all

After an upgrade (but not immediately after) on the weekend, I found that audacious is not producing sound anymore.  After some tests, I found I cannot get sound using Gnome-mplayer, xine, audacious, audacity but I can with (plain) mplayer.

Running audacious through the command line results in the following:

Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Transport/mms.so): libmms.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/Input/sid.so): libsidplay.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load plugin (/usr/lib/audacious/General/mtp_up.so): libmtp.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (audacious:27762): WARNING **: Unable to connect to dbus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I had a look at Audacious settings and notice it has a new PulseAudio Output Plugin that wasn't there before - but changing it to & from that & the original Alsa Output Plugin doesn't change anything.  (Changing it to OSS Output Plugin resulted in feedback noise, even when I dropped the volume slider to zero.)

I've reinstalled audacious, alsa-lib, dbus, to no result

(At the same time, I noticed the Control Icons (minimise, maximise, X and the app icon on the left) have disappeared from all of my windows.  This doesn't seem related (except it happened at the same time) so I'm going to post about that in another thread, but I thought I'd mention it, jic.

has anybody got any ideas?

tia,
mcalex

#2 2011-05-02 17:00:34

mcalex

Re: audio weirdness

OK, audacious is sorted.  Looks like PulseAudio was trying to take over from alsa but wasn't working.  Audacious options had changed to Pulse for the output audio plugin. As mentioned above, initially switching did nothing. I had to turn off PulseAudio and stop it from restarting at boot and then when I changed the audio plugin to alsa, I got sound  :-)

Still no sound in audacity, or gnome-mplayer   :-{

Board footer