You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-02 21:55:33

xiaq

[SOLVED] Theme of gtk3 applications on XFCE (and possibly other WMs)

If I log into GNOME 3 the appearance of gtk3 applications is alright (with the pretty Adwaita theme), so the configuration should be correct. But when I try to run gtk3 applications on XFCE I get a somehow "fallback" ugly look, like this:
gtk3_xfce.png

Last edited by xiaq (2011-05-03 06:14:11)

#2 2011-05-02 22:50:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Theme of gtk3 applications on XFCE (and possibly other WMs)

The gnome3 wiki mentions this. Either run the settings daemon or create the settings.ini in .config/gtk-3.0

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-05-02 23:46:53

xiaq

Have tried both before posting here. Neither works. Running gnome-settings-daemon generates the following warnings:

~% gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4654): WARNING **: You can only run one xsettings manager at a time; exiting

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4654): WARNING **: Unable to start xsettings manager: Could not initialize xsettings manager.
[1304379991,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]    The backend does not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application

(gnome-settings-daemon:4654): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Grab failed for some keys, another application may already have access the them.

(gnome-settings-daemon:4654): clipboard-plugin-WARNING **: Clipboard manager is already running.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:4654): WARNING **: Unable to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

#4 2011-05-03 02:14:36

jlindgren

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 02#p915402

Others (including myself) had this problem already, when Gnome 3 hit testing.  Have you tried the workaround of making ~/.config/gtk-3.0 a symlink?

#5 2011-05-03 06:12:58

xiaq

jlindgren wrote:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 02#p915402

Others (including myself) had this problem already, when Gnome 3 hit testing.  Have you tried the workaround of making ~/.config/gtk-3.0 a symlink?

Thanks, but I've figured out another nasty workaround:

• I set the theme to Adwaita in xfce4-appearance-settings, which makes gtk3 apps look fine.

• However, if applying that alone, gtk2 apps would look weird. (It seems that when given an inappropriate theme, gtk2 doesn't fall back to an ugly basis like gtk3 does, but rather a strange mixture of previous applied theme and the new inappropriate theme).

• But... I've been neglecting xfce4-appearance-settings and using .gtkrc-2.0 to specify gtk2 theme, which takes priority over xfce4-appearance-settings and applies only to gtk2.

Now gtk2 and gtk3 both look good, the former configured through .gtkrc-2.0, the latter through xfce4-appearance-settings. Logically there should be a way to configure gtk3 theme "statically" (as opposed to "dynamically" with a setting daemon), but I'm satisfied here.

Anyway, the Gtk2/3 thingy is really a mess... Gtk3 apps look more foreign than Qt in a mostly-gtk2 desktop environment. I suppose some project similar to QtCurve is on the way...

#6 2011-05-09 15:53:42

twa022

gtk-theme-hope  has a unified look between GTK2 and GTK3 themes, and I'm sure more unified themes will be coming soon...

Board footer