You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 05:27:36

crabmarkjellozest

[solved] Gnome 3 -- No default terminal command has been defined

I've done a fresh install with Gnome 3 and set a custom keyboard shortcut for launching a terminal. Issuing the command results in the error in the subject line.

I have already checked dconf-editor and for fun even issued:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec gnome-terminal

but continue to get this same error. Any suggestions?

Last edited by crabmarkjellozest (2011-05-03 18:27:51)

#2 2011-05-03 17:07:52

Eremancer

Re: [solved] Gnome 3 -- No default terminal command has been defined

I had this exact same error under the same circumstances, with the same setting of org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec

I never did find out how to set the shortcut via "Launch Terminal" in the Launchers section of the Keyboard Shortcuts, but I did get the shortcut working by adding a new shortcut under the "Custom Shortcuts" pane of keyboard shortcuts and setting the command to "gnome-terminal".

Hope this works for you, too.

#3 2011-05-03 18:27:33

crabmarkjellozest

Thanks. This works just fine.

#4 2011-05-09 01:50:00

rsking84

I've had the exact same trouble on a fresh install (x64 system).  Your solution works fine, but should we file a bug?   I've searched gnome.org and not found anything similar posted there.

#5 2011-05-11 21:20:35

DJMaxx

I had the exact same problem under the exact same circumstances, but Eremancer's solution did not work for me, as I specifically wanted the keyboard shortcut for my custom shortcut to be Mod4+Enter (I just switched from Awesome3). For some reason, that didn't work--nothing happened when I typed Mod4+Enter after setting the keyboard shortcut. (That particular bug is discussed in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=928723 )

I fixed it by opening the configuration editor under Applications >> System Tools, navigating to desktop >> gnome >> applications >> terminal and adding a new key named "exec" of string type with the value "gnome-terminal". It gave me a weird warning about the key having no schema, but that appeared not to matter.

Hope this helps

Last edited by DJMaxx (2011-05-11 21:22:02)

#6 2011-05-12 21:39:30

jakobcreutzfeldt

I'm having this problem as well. I noticed that the error dialog that says that no terminal command has been defined is for Mutter. I haven't yet been able to find where I can set Mutter's configuration.

I wasn't able to do the alternate solution of creating a custom shortcut. For some reason, creating a custom shortcut fails for me: I can name the shortcut but I can never actually enter the key sequence.

I'll keep digging into it, but maybe the Mutter insight will tip someone off.

Edit:

Ok, in gconf-editor, go to apps.metacity.global_keybindings, there are several "run_command_*" keys: run_command_[1-12], run_command_screenshot, run_command_terminal, and run_command_screenshot_window. The  key for 'run_command_terminal' has your desired keybinding. If you then go to apps.metacity.keybinding_commands, you'll see that there are corresponding command_* keys for all of the run_command_* keys except for terminal. I naively tried to add a new key called command_terminal and set it to gnome-terminal, however I continue to get the same error, even after restarting gnome-shell, etc. It does warn in gconf-editor that the key has no schema....not sure if there's a better way to add the key or not. I'm guessing that when you add a custom key command as described above, you're creating one of the run_command_[1-12] keybindings.

Also, I guess this is probably a bug to be filed, but I'm not sure in which project it originated: metacity, mutter, gnome3/gnome-shell. Any insight?

Edit 2:

I'm on my work computer, which still has gnome-shell on top of an Ubuntu Natty install and on which the launch terminal keybinding worked out of the box. I checked with gconf-editor and this computer also doesn't have a command_terminal key in apps.metacity.keybinding_commands. So, the command must be defined elsewhere.

Last edited by jakobcreutzfeldt (2011-05-13 09:27:54)

#7 2011-05-15 16:00:49

BorisLN

The keys you are searching for are located in /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/

In my case, even their parent folder didn't exist, so I had to create it using :

gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec"      "gnome-terminal"
gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec_args" "-x"

Last edited by BorisLN (2011-05-15 17:27:20)

#8 2011-05-15 21:14:30

jakobcreutzfeldt

That worked for me, thanks!

#9 2011-05-16 00:51:04

rsking84

Worked for me as well. Thanks!

However, when I tried to set the second line:

gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec_args" "-x"

I got the following error, followed by a complete system freeze :-(

Error while parsing options: Unknown option -x

After rebooting I was able to set the key via the gconf-editor GUI and the fix works.

#10 2011-06-05 04:14:47

adamw

Hi, thanks for tracking this down BorisLN!  An extra '--' should fix the syntax error the last post reports.  The same trick works with other gnu tools as well.

gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec"      "gnome-terminal"
gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec_args" -- "-x"

#11 2011-06-07 17:17:40

vdust

Actually, the exec_args key is not used (don't know if it ever was before gnome3). Arguments can be put directly in the exec key. (for the record, the -x options doesn't exist (check `gnome-terminal --help-all` ))
Here is what i use myself (gnome-terminal keeps ignoring default_size_columns and default_size_rows from /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/*/, but that's another matter)

gconftool-2 --type=string --set "/desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec" "gnome-terminal --geometry=150x50"

Board footer