You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-29 15:27:00

nopriler

Can't mount DEVICE: Not Authorized

I am starting X by startx.
I get this error when I try to mount DEVICE from Places after re-install ArchLinux.

Can't mount <DEVICE>: Not Authorized

I had added 'cklaunch-session' into .xinitrc as what I did before re-install, but it didn't work.

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

Then, I add dbus-launch into .xinitrc.

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch gnome-session

I can mount HD device(NTFS), but it needs authentication.
Strangely, it seems CD and USB device could be mounted without authentication.

I don't know what information I should provide. All above are what I could think this time.
What should I do? Thank you all very much.

P.S. What role does dbus-launch play? Why could it work well without that in the past?

Last edited by nopriler (2011-05-01 15:46:01)

#2 2011-04-29 18:17:44

TeoBigusDickus

Re: Can't mount DEVICE: Not Authorized

Have you tried running

polkit-gnome-authorization

and changing the settings?

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#3 2011-04-29 19:05:43

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
It seems that polkit-gnome-authorization was unnecessery in the past, and command not found.

#4 2011-04-30 08:35:41

nopriler

Up...  I am sorry for my poor English.

#5 2011-04-30 14:52:30

TeoBigusDickus

Ok, is your ntfs hd in your fstab?
Have you checked the ownership of its mount point?

Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux! Please make Autocad Civil 3d and Archicad work on Linux!

#6 2011-04-30 15:22:13

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
Thank you for your consideration.
NTFS HDs are not in my fstab.
I am a real newbie, could you please tell me how to check the ownership?

#7 2011-04-30 15:29:45

TeoBigusDickus

Make the drive's mount point yours:

sudo chown yourusername /media/whatever

See if that changes anything.

#8 2011-04-30 16:49:51

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
It seems HAL makes mount points on itself. How could this work?

#9 2011-04-30 17:50:09

TeoBigusDickus

Are they different every time?
If so, make an entry for your drive in fstab (using its UUID), so that the mount point is always the same.

#10 2011-04-30 18:04:55

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
In my impression, HAL will remove the folder when umount.
I guess I do not understand you well.

#11 2011-04-30 18:31:55

TeoBigusDickus

Mount your drive. Open a terminal and run

blkid

This will show you the UUIDs of all your mounted partitions. Lets say that the UUID of your drive is

f883ba31-ad86-4d90-9287-60956ac94684

(copied one of my uuids)
Now, create a folder in your /media folder, on which you'll have your drive mounted upon every log in.

sudo mkdir /media/MY_NTFS_DRIVE

Change its ownership

sudo chown yourusername /media/MY_NTFS_DRIVE

Now edit your fstab file

sudo vim /etc/fstab

in order to have the drive mounted at startup. (you can use any editor you like instead of vim)
Add this line at the end of the file

UUID=f883ba31-ad86-4d90-9287-60956ac94684 /media/MY_NTFS_FOLDER ntfs defaults 0 0

Replace the uuid with your uuid of course.
Save, exit, reboot, post us what happened.

#12 2011-05-01 06:42:09

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
It seems that I have a concept garbling. What's "mount"? Does it means that I could write and read the DEVICE?
I cann't use HAL to mount DEVICE. Do you means manually mount?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just do as what you tell me, then I can't find the NTFS Partition which is been tried from Places. I can find it in /media/<UUID>, but the owner of this folder is Root although I have chowned it. I can chown this folder again, but it will been changed to Root again after reboot. However, it is not the way I want. I just want to see the HD DEVICE in Places and Nautilus, and mount it when I click it.

P.S. Could you understand me well? I hope my weakly english does not confuse you.

#13 2011-05-01 07:32:01

rwd

Mounting means that a device that has a filesystem, for example /dev/sdb3 the third partition on the second harddisk (or usbstick), can be accessed at some place (mount point) of the existing filesystem. So typing 'mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/somefoldername' means  that the files and folders of sdb3 can now be seen under /mnt/somefoldername. That is if you have read and execute permissions for  folder /mnt/somefoldername.

You can either mount using the commandline with 'mount' , put a line in /etc/fstab to mount permanently, or let some other program handle the mounting for you, like Thunar or udev. In your case you are trying to mount with Thunar. Your problem seems to be that you don't have the right permissions to let thunar do that. Make sure you are member of the 'storage' , 'disk' and ' optical' groups. You can do that with 'sudo passwd -a <yourusername> storage' etc (replace <yourusername> with your own username), and check with 'groups'.

Last edited by rwd (2011-05-01 08:12:09)

#14 2011-05-01 08:36:04

TeoBigusDickus

nopriler wrote:

TeoBigusDickus,
It seems that I have a concept garbling. What's "mount"? Does it means that I could write and read the DEVICE?
I cann't use HAL to mount DEVICE. Do you means manually mount?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just do as what you tell me, then I can't find the NTFS Partition which is been tried from Places. I can find it in /media/<UUID>, but the owner of this folder is Root although I have chowned it. I can chown this folder again, but it will been changed to Root again after reboot. However, it is not the way I want. I just want to see the HD DEVICE in Places and Nautilus, and mount it when I click it.

P.S. Could you understand me well? I hope my weakly english does not confuse you.

I can understand you, well - relax, english is not my mother tongue as well.

What my post #11 tried to tell you is how to mount your partition on every startup using the FileSystemTABle file (fstab).
It is the file which controls the partitions that are mounted automatically on every boot of your system.

Mount your hd manually. Don't do anything else on it - no chowning, cause as you've said, the mount point will be recreated after a restart.

You mount your hd in order to find its UUID. That's where the blkid command comes.

Take a note of the UUID. Then create your own, separate folder on which you want the hd mounted every time and chown it.

Make the necessary changes in your fstab file and reboot.

Your hd should now be mounted in the folder you've created and, what is more, you should be the owner of the mount point, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by TeoBigusDickus (2011-05-01 08:37:00)

#15 2011-05-01 10:29:00

nopriler

rwd,
I know the first paragraph well, but the second one is strange to me.
It seems I have not Thunar but udev, and I am the member of both groups. The problem is not caused by that I guess, maybe settings or packages problems.

#16 2011-05-01 10:39:59

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,

Take a note of the UUID. Then create your own, separate folder on which you want the hd mounted every time and chown it.

Is the folder's name same to UUID, as I do?

I just follow you, not mount my NTFS Partition. I use blkid to get the UUID of a NTFS Partition, then create a folder that name is the same to UUID. I chown the folder, change its ownership. After that, I edit my fstab file.

UUID=<UUID> /media/<UUID> ntfs defaults 0 0

After reboot, I find the ownership change back.

#17 2011-05-01 11:00:54

TeoBigusDickus

Create a different folder

sudo mkdir /media/DRIVE

and work with that.

#18 2011-05-01 11:39:41

rwd

nopriler wrote:

It seems I have not Thunar but udev, and I am the member of both groups. The problem is not caused by that I guess, maybe settings or packages problems.

Sorry, I overlooked that you use Gnome which has it's own tools for mounting instead of  Thunar. You state that you can mount it with authentication. Do you mean 'sudo mount ...' on the commandline? Also make sure dbus is added to the DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf.

TeoBigusDickus: the op wants to mount using the gnome gui tools, not mounting by hand. Those tools maintain mountpoints in /mnt/ and /media themselves so you shouldn't need to add them yourself.

Last edited by rwd (2011-05-01 12:02:12)

#19 2011-05-01 12:54:37

TeoBigusDickus

I know. But since I don't know how to make gnome mount the hd every time without root priviledges, the only way I can think of is to make it mount at startup -> fixed mount point -> can be chowned.

#20 2011-05-01 13:16:14

rwd

Now that I think of it: local disks are indeed normally mounted in fstab, and by creating mount points yourself. What use is it to mount /unmount local disks in 'places' anyway.

#21 2011-05-01 15:05:49

nopriler

TeoBigusDickus,
Although I create a different folder, such as "mp", and chown it. The ownership will be changed after reboot, and be Recoveried( Change back) after umount.

#22 2011-05-01 15:19:29

nopriler

rwd,
I don't mean 'sudo mount'. I say that, after I add dbus-launch into .xinitrc, the USB DEVICE and CD/DVD DEVICE can be auto-mount when they insert, and when I click the HD Partition (NTFS) in Places or Nautilus, it shows me a dialog, asking root password.
I have added dbus into rc.conf

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal network netfs crond alsa)

I don't understand the sentence well.

What use is it to mount /unmount local disks in 'places' anyway.

Could you please explain it to me?

#23 2011-05-01 15:34:41

rwd

nopriler wrote:

What use is it to mount /unmount local disks in 'places' anyway.

Could you please explain it to me?

I meant that I don't understand why you want to mount/unmount local disks via 'places', and not simply with fstab. Normally mounting/unmounting with 'places' or other gui tools is only used, and only makes sense, for *removable* drives.

Last edited by rwd (2011-05-01 15:36:44)

#24 2011-05-01 15:59:22

nopriler

rwd,
Never mount extra DEVICE.
Before I re-install my ArchLinux, there is a DEVICE(umount) icon in Places, I can mount it by click it.I don't need this NTFS partition all the time. A DEVICE with umonting icon provide a convenient, fast way to mount it and start my work.

EDIT: Have you used OpenSUSE or Ubuntu? Just like their styles.

EDIT 2: For the second reason, I want to know what is different from that before re-install.

Last edited by nopriler (2011-05-01 16:04:34)

#25 2011-05-03 10:28:05

darkbeanies

@nopriler

Try This:

su

nano /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/config.pkla

Paste this into the new file:

[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:storage
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-unmount-others;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=no

IF it still won't work:

cp /proc/filesystems /etc

nano /etc/filesystems

and add vfat and ntfs to the bottom of the list.

Make sure you're in storage group too.

Oh, by the way, this assumes that you did NOT follow any of the advice about fstab, UUID's, chowning folders etc. etc.

Last edited by darkbeanies (2011-05-03 10:43:43)

Board footer