You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 01:29:55

cubeist

Gnome 3 Apple Keyboard Numlock with Blender *SOLVED

I have lost the ability to move the view in blender using the common Shift + 4, Shit + 6, etc. key mapping.

The reason for this is very strange numlock behavior since upgrading to gnome 3.

I have used xev to determine the problem. The default layout gives me numbers (1,2,3, etc) which is exactly as it should be, but pressing "shift + a number" changes the keypress to KP_Left (for Shift + 4), or KP_Right (for Shift+6).

Now, if I turn numlock off (using the clear key on alum apple keyboard) then the behavior is switched... default number keys are KP_Left, KP_Right, etc. and pressing Shift gives me number 4!

I desperately need it functioning so numbers are numbers and shift/control modifiers are just modifier plus number, not new key!

I don't have an alternate keyboard and I have time sensitive projects!

PS- under gnome 2, I would typically be able to fix with System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout -> Layout Options -> Miscellaneous compatibility options -> turn on "Default numeric keypad keys"
PPS- Iv'e googled this extensively, and apparently I am the only fool using an apple keyboard with blender 2.57 and gnome 3!

Edit - Solution

FACEPALM!

Ok, so the mapping in blender was changed from Shift+4, Shift+6, etc. to move the view to CTRL+4, CTRL+6, etc! What a waste of two hours!

Also of note, to change keyboard options, goto System Settings > Region and Language > Layouts (whichever dev decided this is a logical place, is an idiot...keyboard options should go in keyboard settings.)

Last edited by cubeist (2011-05-04 03:14:00)

Board footer