You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 05:04:08

vinceb

SOLVED: Problem booting after installation with software RAID & GRUB

I am receiving an error after installation that /dev/md4 (my root partition) cannot be found. I have 4 hard drives: 2 160GB and 2 500GB. I setup partitions for /boot on sda1 and sda2 in raid-1 and made it md0. /swap is on sda2/sdb2 in raid-1 and md1. /tmp is sda3/sdb3 in raid-0 and is md2. /var is sda5/sdb5 on raid-0 and md3. /root is sda6/sdb6 in raid-0 and md4. /home is sdc1/sdd1 in raid-1 and is md5.

I followed the instructions in the Wiki for creating software raid with lvm volumes, but I did not think I needed LVM and just manually made all the partitions and raid arrays. I had no trouble with the installation but forgot to load mdadm to the hooks in mkinitcpio.conf, so I put it before filesystems after booting a livecd and using chroot and it did not help. Yes, I did the mkinitcpio -p kernel26 command after to rebuild the images.

Do I have to use LVM to properly have the configuration I want? Can root not be on a logical partition? I am using the default GRUB that is installed during installation. I told the installer I had software raid and told it to load to both hard drives and it did so without complaint.

I am stumped! Hopefully I am just making a silly mistake as I am new to software RAID. In the past I have always used fakeraid but wish to switch. Thanks.

Last edited by vinceb (2011-05-04 13:07:57)

#2 2011-05-04 13:13:48

vinceb

Re: SOLVED: Problem booting after installation with software RAID & GRUB

I solved my own problem. I added raid0 and raid1 to modules and I did not run mdadm --examine --scan > /etc/mdadm.conf before rebuilding mkinitcpio

Board footer