You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-04 22:41:22

permagreen

Gnome 3 Unresponsive

So I recently upgraded to gnome 3, gnome-shell and all, and it is horribly unresponsive on my system. I really have no idea what the problem is, but I'll give you my best shot at describing it.

I log on, no problems there, and the system takes a bit longer to load my desktop than it used to, but no errors pop up or anything. Then the desktop appears loaded, but nothing seems to respond when I click it. I can move my mouse (and it is my pointer, as opposed to some crappy default) around just fine, the internet connects just fine, pidgin starts and logs me in just fine (I have it set to automatically start when I login), but at first I seem completely unable to move anything, type anything, or launch anything.

About a minute (maybe two) after trying to click and move things, a menu will drop down (or something similar) as a result of my frantic clicking about, but I still can't do anything with it (or rather I apparently can do stuff, just with a one to two minute latency period). It is as though my system is under some kind of heavy workload, except it isn't. Going into the command-line via Ctrl + Alt + F1, everything is crisp and responsive. I can even update if I try to (although not with yaourt, since that manage to get broken in a recent update too, but I don't think that's relevant).

So please, if anyone has any idea what could be causing this, please get back to me. Much appreciated.

#2 2011-05-05 00:16:13

yawns

Re: Gnome 3 Unresponsive

What hardware are you running? I've heard GNOME3 is pretty unfriendly to a lot of video cards. Are you running the gnome-shell or getting pushed to fallback? It sounds like fallback because you mention menus popping up, and there's really only one small menu in shell.

In your home directory is a file called .xsession-errors. It's probably full of stuff which might (or might not) be helpful.

Board footer