You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-04 10:36:15

kolos

Re: [Gnome3] Dark GTK3 theme from Adwaita!

dodo3773 wrote:

This works great for all the new gtk3 apps. But all the other ones are still light for me. Is there any way for it to work system wide? I would be happy if it worked for Firefox. Also, how can I change roots theme to this too? Awesome job by the way.

did you change the file in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/ ?

och noes!

#27 2011-05-04 17:42:41

dodo3773

kolos wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

This works great for all the new gtk3 apps. But all the other ones are still light for me. Is there any way for it to work system wide? I would be happy if it worked for Firefox. Also, how can I change roots theme to this too? Awesome job by the way.

I copied the two files in there to /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/ and then created a file called settings.ini in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 with the info metioned before. What do I need to do in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/ ?

#28 2011-05-05 01:20:33

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

dodo3773 wrote:

Firefox uses gtk2. Just use the included gtk2 Adwaita theme.

For root theme, please search before asking.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#29 2011-05-05 02:30:10

dodo3773

ngoonee wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

Firefox uses gtk2. Just use the included gtk2 Adwaita theme.

For root theme, please search before asking.

I changed them both to the same theme in the gnome tweak tool. The gtk3 apps look right but the gtk2 apps stay light. If I try to change the gtk2 apps to something else it still stays the same no effect at all. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. It seems like anything I do it just stays the same (except the window borders they change).

#30 2011-05-05 02:33:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I don't think gnome tweak tool changes gtk2 settings at all.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#31 2011-05-05 03:27:46

dodo3773

ngoonee wrote:

I don't think gnome tweak tool changes gtk2 settings at all.

I tried it again rebooted still no luck. Even tried to change it with lxappearance still nothing. I am starting to think maybe I messed something up on my system. I don't know what's going on.

#32 2011-05-05 13:40:21

kolos

dodo3773 wrote:
kolos wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

I copied the two files in there to /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0/ and then created a file called settings.ini in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 with the info metioned before. What do I need to do in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/ ?

backup of the original gtkrc in the /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0 folder, and then

mv /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-dark  /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

because i wanted to keep the original theme untoched i copied the folder Adwaita to /home/user/.themes/Adwaita-dark, chmod to user and edited the index.theme, after that the tweak-tool had the option to change the current theme and gtk+ theme to Adwaita-dark (i did this only because i'm changing everything and if i screw up i can return to the original theme)

Last edited by kolos (2011-05-05 13:54:00)

och noes!

#33 2011-05-05 23:53:22

dodo3773

kolos wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:
kolos wrote:

backup of the original gtkrc in the /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0 folder, and then

mv /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-dark  /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

because i wanted to keep the original theme untoched i copied the folder Adwaita to /home/user/.themes/Adwaita-dark, chmod to user and edited the index.theme, after that the tweak-tool had the option to change the current theme and gtk+ theme to Adwaita-dark (i did this only because i'm changing everything and if i screw up i can return to the original theme)

Awesome. That worked perfectly. Thank you.

#34 2011-09-26 19:57:02

nmvictor

kolos wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:
kolos wrote:

I have Adawait theme in gnome3 [shell v3.1.92] and probably the latest version of gnome. However i do not have the file

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc-dark 

. Could someone please tell me where to find this file, or if you have it in your installation could you please attach it for me here, I badly need it and i couldnt find it in the latest git builds of gnome-themes-standard. Please help, I will really appreciate.

#35 2011-09-26 20:28:15

dodo3773

nmvictor wrote:

I have Adawait theme in gnome3 [shell v3.1.92] and probably the latest version of gnome. However i do not have the file

. Could someone please tell me where to find this file, or if you have it in your installation could you please attach it for me here, I badly need it and i couldnt find it in the latest git builds of gnome-themes-standard. Please help, I will really appreciate.

I am pretty sure that I edited mine to make it darker. Here is mine if you still want it:   http://pastie.org/2596112

#36 2011-09-27 05:54:57

nmvictor

dodo3773 wrote:
nmvictor wrote:

I am pretty sure that I edited mine to make it darker. Here is mine if you still want it:   http://pastie.org/2596112

Thanks but thats too dark, I was hoping for a similar alternative to the following gtk3 dark :
DarkGtk3Adwaita:http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=2504

But here is how your gtkrc produces for my system
Gtk2dodo3773:http://imagepaste.nullnetwork.net/viewimage.php?id=2505
I appreciate your help, but could i get the DarkGTK3Adwaita version, please.

Last edited by nmvictor (2011-09-27 05:57:58)

#37 2011-09-27 06:03:31

dodo3773

nmvictor wrote:

My gtk3 is the same. I wanted more black then grey. I looked at the pkgbuild from the aur. The files you are looking for are at git://git.gnome.org/gnome-themes-standard. So, just run

git clone git://git.gnome.org/gnome-themes-standard

and you should have all the source files for this theme.

#38 2011-09-27 06:37:05

nmvictor

dodo3773 wrote:
nmvictor wrote:

My gtk3 is the same. I wanted more black then grey. I looked at the pkgbuild from the aur. The files you are looking for are at git://git.gnome.org/gnome-themes-standard. So, just run

and you should have all the source files for this theme.

I was looking for the file

I have cloned into the git repository you provide but still no lack. If you look at my first post in this thread, I have quoted a posting where a user moved the above file to replace

/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

file. So am looking for the gtkrc-dark file, coz I cant see it in my system.

#39 2011-09-27 06:47:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

So many comments, did anyone actually try to read my PKGBUILD from the AUR? The last few lines of the package() function is what generates gtkrc-dark.....

#40 2011-09-27 07:00:57

dodo3773

ngoonee wrote:

So many comments, did anyone actually try to read my PKGBUILD from the AUR? The last few lines of the package() function is what generates gtkrc-dark.....

Oh, wow the answer really is simple. Thanks ngoonee. I did not even think of that. My "gnome-themes-standard" is actually "gnome-themes-standard-git" from the aur.

@nmvictor

Did you install yours from the aur or from the repos?

#41 2011-09-27 08:03:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

dodo3773 wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Oh, wow the answer really is simple. Thanks ngoonee. I did not even think of that. My "gnome-themes-standard" is actually "gnome-themes-standard-git" from the aur.

@nmvictor

If you read his first post, its obvious he has the one from the repos. This is to be expected because gnome-themes-standard-git doesn't currently build properly (and I have no motivation to fix it due to it depending on various *-git packages). It should work just fine with the upcoming 3.2 release.

#42 2011-09-27 08:39:01

nmvictor

dodo3773 wrote:

I am on ubuntu 11.10, sorry for prying into Arch linux forum. What I did was

so Im afraid I dont understand if that fetched from the aur or the repos. Please, guys dont tire to help, I might say i am a newbie to all this stuff but once i get the facts right, i'll be good to go coz am not badly off at the commandline. Thanks for your help so far.

#43 2011-09-28 01:48:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

nmvictor wrote:
dodo3773 wrote:

I am on ubuntu 11.10, sorry for prying into Arch linux forum. What I did was

Why are you here then? This isn't a general support forum, and Ubuntu is sufficiently different from Arch that unless we know you're running it we're likely to be missing important differences. And if we DO know you're running it, we'd still most likely not know how Ubuntu does their 'thing'. Please ask in ubuntuforums.org instead, they know what you're running and will be able to help you more.

nmvictor wrote:

so Im afraid I dont understand if that fetched from the aur or the repos. Please, guys dont tire to help, I might say i am a newbie to all this stuff but once i get the facts right, i'll be good to go coz am not badly off at the commandline. Thanks for your help so far.

Case in point. git clone has nothing to do with aur/repos etc. Go to our wiki, search 'AUR', and hopefully you'll see why the question you're asking doesn't make sense. Which just demonstrates that you should be asking/searching in the right places.

#44 2011-10-02 18:27:54

misc

It might be entirely superfluous as I didn't notice that there were others already in this thread, but I made my own GTK2 "port" of the dark Adwaita theme (for GTK3.2) today, based on Clearlooks-DarkOrange.

I'm sure its code is rather half-assed, but the colors do agree nicely:
sp8k2s.jpg

Clearlooks-DarkAdwaita, downloadable here.

edit: Less abstruse is of course to simply copy the "bright" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and alter the values in its gtk-color-scheme-line to those given in …/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css:

gtk-color-scheme = "base_color:#4F524F\nfg_color:#eeeeec\ntooltip_fg_color:#eeeeee\nselected_bg_color:#3465a4\nselected_fg_color:#eeeeec\ntext_color:#EEEEEC\nbg_color:#363B3B\ntooltip_bg_color:#000000"

Last edited by misc (2011-10-04 18:20:24)

#45 2011-10-05 04:50:01

smudge

Thanks misc, one line and a very nice Arch Adwaita Dark theme for gtk2 & 3 (and qt)!

Also, thanks for the word "abstruse" smile

#46 2011-10-06 10:39:52

narendiran
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Ah, I just realized you meant putting it in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, not the settings.ini in /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-3.0

That works then. Time to update the AUR package to mention that and remove the symlinks.

I don't have a gtk-3.0 dir in my .config path. created it and it works

Last edited by narendiran (2011-10-06 17:48:30)

#47 2011-10-13 09:55:34

korpenkraxar

misc wrote:

It might be entirely superfluous as I didn't notice that there were others already in this thread, but I made my own GTK2 "port" of the dark Adwaita theme (for GTK3.2) today, based on Clearlooks-DarkOrange.

I'm sure its code is rather half-assed, but the colors do agree nicely:
http://i.imgur.com/sp8k2s.jpg

Clearlooks-DarkAdwaita, downloadable here.

edit: Less abstruse is of course to simply copy the "bright" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and alter the values in its gtk-color-scheme-line to those given in …/gtk-3.0/gtk-dark.css:

gtk-color-scheme = "base_color:#4F524F\nfg_color:#eeeeec\ntooltip_fg_color:#eeeeee\nselected_bg_color:#3465a4\nselected_fg_color:#eeeeec\ntext_color:#EEEEEC\nbg_color:#363B3B\ntooltip_bg_color:#000000"

Thanks for this GTK2 theme misc. It indeed looks nice together with the dark Adwaita GTK3 theme!

There are two things that I would like to know how to fix. The first being the gradient in the tabs, which I find to stand out a bit too much and which does not at all look like the flat tabs of Adwaita. The other is how to make the Adwaita window theme in Gnome Shell put the dark border (used for the GTK3 apps) around the GTK2 windows as well. Does anyone have any ideas?

#48 2011-10-13 15:13:31

kyla
Website

misc wrote:

I wanted to thank you for this as well!

#49 2011-10-13 16:07:39

hadrons123

i haven't tried this theme yet.how to bring the old adwaita back?.is it as simple as changing theme at gnome-tweak-tool?

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#50 2011-10-14 17:47:25

kyla
Website

@hadrons123
I'm not sure what state gnome is in, e.g., whether or not you can set the prefer dark bit in the gui or not. Using settings.ini, to go back to normal Adwaita for gtk3 apps you'd just change the prefer dark setting to false in settings.ini And for the gtk2 theme, I'd recomend you comment out the gtk-color-scheme line misc's theme is replacing, then add misc's text under it. That way when you want to go back you can just comment misc's text and uncomment the original. Hope that was clear.

Board footer