You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 15:06:32

yawns

More GNOME 3 tweaks - expanding the panel, changing scrollbars

In most of my applications, the scrollbars are massive white things, and the handles are relatively big white dots. In others (like Firefox and Exaile), the scrollbars are really skinny and blue, and the handles are clusters of tiny dots. It looks more like clearlooks than Adwaita. Is the inconsistency because some of these apps only use GTK2? Which .css files do I need to edit to get consistency? I prefer the white bars over the blue ones, but not so wide.

http://i.imgur.com/oYoGQ.png

Here it looks like Nautilus is using Adwaita while Exaile is stuck on clearlooks.

Similarly, can I edit some theme file to eliminate the monstrous resize handle that appears in the bottom right? It's a real eyesore, especially on top of the (buggily solid black) terminal windows.

Finally, I've seen some screenshots where the activities panel... thinger has rows of icons and additional things like, "Places," and "Recent documents." Is it possible to add things like that to the panel? Or was that something only in beta versions? I think I'd find gnome-shell a lot more useful if I had access to that sort of thing from the activities menu.

#2 2011-05-05 10:25:16

mschmoelzer

Re: More GNOME 3 tweaks - expanding the panel, changing scrollbars

The scrollbar thing is an upstream bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646556

The Adwaita GTK2 theme seems incomplete (to me it looks exactly like the Clearlooks theme...), so the only possibility is setting a different GTK2 theme.

I think it's currently impossible to have GTK2 and GTK3 apps have the same appearance sad

#3 2011-05-05 16:43:49

yawns

mschmoelzer wrote:

The scrollbar thing is an upstream bug: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646556

The Adwaita GTK2 theme seems incomplete (to me it looks exactly like the Clearlooks theme...), so the only possibility is setting a different GTK2 theme.

I think it's currently impossible to have GTK2 and GTK3 apps have the same appearance sad

Ah, I kind of solved that part! From what I'm seeing, it looks like some apps use GTK2 and some GTK3, so your theme needs to have, well, themes, for both. Adwaita just uses a very minor alteration of Clearlooks for it's GTK2. I've switched to Hope:

http://grvrulz.deviantart.com/art/Hope-gtk3-206207315

Which is very consistent and IMHO better than Adwaita, anyway. Still haven't figured out where that big'ol resize handle is coming from, though.

Oh, and, this is what the panel looked like at one time

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ … 2vktxy.jpg

It's themed, but you get the point. Way more useful. Really hope some clever extension creator figures out a way to bring that back.

#4 2011-05-05 17:21:25

madek
Website

you can pick another gtk3 and gtk2 theme
in this moment, altom, drakfire or elementary be a good gtk2+gtk3+gnome shell themes pack
search indeviantart

pd. yep, the default adwaita theme is "huge bars"

#5 2011-05-05 18:13:18

triplesquarednine

I was about to comment on other themes being available (but was beaton to the punch!).

The Atom-gtk3 is really nice, if you like warm dark themes, and it's GTK2 counterpart matches up very nicely, if only minor differences in how they look.

Also remember that GTK3 themes are really easy to modify, if you don't like thick scrollbars, or phat menus - change them. It only requires changing the padding on certain gtk-widgets and/or adjusting how many pixels a given widget is using.... and being as GTK3 is using CSS - it is very readable.

I've modded the Atolm-GTK3 theme, and adjusted to look exactly how i wanted it. it's easy stuff.

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-05 18:14:29)

#6 2011-05-05 21:36:10

madchine
Website

Can somebody please try to get things straight. If you're gonna make recommendations, either learn how to spell or how to copy-paste: atom, altom, atolm... And supply hyperlinks.

http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/ar … -206663190

#7 2011-05-05 23:54:18

triplesquarednine

madchine wrote:

Can somebody please try to get things straight. If you're gonna make recommendations, either learn how to spell or how to copy-paste: atom, altom, atolm... And supply hyperlinks.

http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/ar … -206663190

Sorry dude, I left the "L" out of atolm the first time i wrote it. (so, sue me!)

Plus, there are multiple links to this (and all new GTK3 themes) throughout the arch forum (so i didn't feel the need to re-post and re-post), rather than complaining - you could have typed "atom-gtk3" - and if that didn't turn anything up, tried "atolm-gtk3" ...you could easily have searched "gtk3 themes" or "gnome-shell themes" into google and found every new theme within a page or two ~ ...or even just searched the Arch forums themselves - it's not rocket science, and surely nothing to cry or whine about.

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-05 23:59:12)

#8 2011-09-27 09:14:00

vikky1989

triplesquarednine wrote:

I was about to comment on other themes being available (but was beaton to the punch!).

The Atom-gtk3 is really nice, if you like warm dark themes, and it's GTK2 counterpart matches up very nicely, if only minor differences in how they look.

Also remember that GTK3 themes are really easy to modify, if you don't like thick scrollbars, or phat menus - change them. It only requires changing the padding on certain gtk-widgets and/or adjusting how many pixels a given widget is using.... and being as GTK3 is using CSS - it is very readable.

I've modded the Atolm-GTK3 theme, and adjusted to look exactly how i wanted it. it's easy stuff.

jordan

Can i know how to tweak the scroll bars in the gnome3 shell in fedora 15

#9 2011-09-27 10:02:32

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

vikky1989 wrote:

Do you really want help on Fedora? Then please ask in a Fedora forum.
We will gladly help on Arch issues, however.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#10 2011-09-29 07:12:36

vikky1989

how to change the colour of the scroll bar in gnome 3.. not in shell i changed it. i need to know how to change in the applications.

vikky1989 wrote:
triplesquarednine wrote:

jordan

Board footer