You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-06 20:10:54

tooke

[SOLVED] Flash acts strangely in WMs

When I open a page with flash in it, like youtube, speedtest.net, etc. it works fine, but when I switch to another tab or even sometimes another application, the image is still there. This makes it very difficult to do anything else while I've got a flash video/application open. I was going to include some pictures, but the image doesn't appear in the screenshots. This happens whether I'm using firefox or chromium. It also happens in both ratpoison and icewm, but it was fine in gnome. I don't believe it's a problem with the plugin. I originally used flashplugin from the repository, but I've also tried downloading it directly from adobe's site, and I've tried the lightspark flash plugin from the repository. If pictures would help, I can get out the camera and post them here.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by tooke (2011-05-06 21:20:15)

"[Big companies] don't win by making great products. Big companies win by sucking less than other big companies." - Paul Graham
See my home page at JacobOBryant.com
Check out TimingPundit.com for a stock investment strategy.

#2 2011-05-06 20:36:36

skunktrader

Re: [SOLVED] Flash acts strangely in WMs

Does it work better if you disable hardware acceleration?

#3 2011-05-06 21:19:26

tooke

Turns out it was a problem with the flash plugin. I found that installing flashplugin-10.1 from the AUR fixed it (current version is 10.2). However, disabling hardware acceleration also worked, so thanks for that. Now I can keep using the standard flashplugin.

For anyone else with this problem, right click on a flash video/application, click settings, uncheck "enable hardware acceleration", then restart the X server/reboot.

"[Big companies] don't win by making great products. Big companies win by sucking less than other big companies." - Paul Graham
See my home page at JacobOBryant.com
Check out TimingPundit.com for a stock investment strategy.

#4 2011-05-06 21:48:42

BurntSushi
Website

tooke wrote:

For anyone else with this problem, right click on a flash video/application, click settings, uncheck "enable hardware acceleration", then restart the X server/reboot.

Indeed, this setting can work wonders.

I recently built a new machine with a Phenom II X6 and an HD 5570, and flash would chug and chug whenever I tried full screen. Disabling hardware acceleration made it run nice and smoothly.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Board footer