You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-05 13:16:32

brianbourke75

Arch Wine doesn't work for launching champions online, but ubuntu does

So I have been having a issue with getting wine to launch champions online which fails immediately on startup.  It should be noted that the game uses IE to patch and launch the main application and this seems to be where the main issue lies.   It had been working for me when I was using a 32 bit arch installation but when I needed to migrate to a 64 bit installation, the multilib installation seems to fail.  Now I have found out that the ubuntu 64 bit package seems to be functioning, so my question is, what is the best way to take the changes that ubuntu made to their package and use that on my arch system.

Thanks!
Brian

#2 2011-05-05 14:03:51

karol
Archivist

Re: Arch Wine doesn't work for launching champions online, but ubuntu does

Maybe Ubuntu uses a different version i.e. version foo-2.3 works but unfortunately foo-2.4 doesn't.

#3 2011-05-05 14:24:44

brianbourke75

I checked that already.  Right now ubuntu is uses either wine 1.2.3 (stable) or wine1.3.18 (unstable) and they both work as intended.  Here in arch world it has not worked for me since arch 1.3.14 or so.  I also tried to use the wine-stable package from the AUR which showed the exact same behavior as the regular wine package.  This is why I am leaning towards whatever "special sauce" the good people at ubuntu did to make it work. 

Oh yes, and I should also note that if I add the debugging symbol "WINEDEBUG=+relay" the IE launcher starts up and I can patch my game (albeit very very slowly due to the overhead of having that symbol active), but then it crashes when the actual game starts up complaining it was unable to initiate the D3D stuff.  Right now I am assuming that secondary error is due to the debugging state, but god help me if its not. wink

#4 2011-05-05 14:35:21

karol
Archivist

You can see how Arch creates the wine package here (configure stuff etc.) but I have no idea if and where you can get similar info for Ubuntu packages.

#5 2011-05-06 01:18:22

frank604

Any logs to monitor what's going on?  With playonlinux, I use "playonlinux (wineprefix) --debug" to display in terminal what's going on.  Perhaps wine has similar syntax?

#6 2011-05-06 11:36:37

brianbourke75

Nothing from wine that seems that helpful, although I must admit I am not an expert on wine there does not seem to be any useful output being displayed.  I will give playonlinux a try and post on how that goes.

#7 2011-05-07 00:02:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Is your prefix 32-bit?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer