You are not logged in.

#26 2011-05-03 21:34:24

neurolysis
Website

Re: wlan0 dhcpcd timeout on no carrier issue

markbabc wrote:
neurolysis wrote:

You need to tell it what to connect to before using dhcpcd, for example, by using iwconfig or wpa_supplicant.

comeon... im not that stupid... read my first post and i say that i do that.....

You say you issue the commands to do it. You don't say that they work as expected.

#27 2011-05-04 22:50:28

markbabc

ewaller wrote:
markbabc wrote:
neurolysis wrote:

You need to tell it what to connect to before using dhcpcd, for example, by using iwconfig or wpa_supplicant.

....... read my first post and i say that i do that.....

and to those of you saying that i need to associate to the AP i already have and iwconfig says im associated to it

But... If it is protected with WPA or WPA2, you can associate with it; but you still won't be able to talk to it. 
Do you know if the router uses WPA ?? With WEP, the association requires the passphrase.  No so with WPA.  With WPA, the encryption occurs at a higher link level.  Even though you are associated, your TCP packets are not encrypted properly and are meaningless. 

With WPA:

1.  iwconfig to associate with the AP
2.  wpa_supplicant to manage packet encryption / decryption (I think you are missing this step)
3.  dhcpcd
4.  profit.... smile

I first thought that was the problem so i opened it up and it still failed me, im gona try a few more things then ig i will have to re-install sad

#28 2011-05-07 01:34:17

yungtrizzle

Did you put ath5k in your modules array in rc.conf? That auto loads the drive and brings up the interface.

Board footer