You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-27 14:21:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Dependency hell with redland and redland-compat

GogglesGuy wrote:

So are these broken packages just going to stay in testing?

The packages are not broken, simply built in an incompatible way. Those using [testing] should know how to work around this if needed. Of course, this is complicated by the fact that a lot of people are using [testing] just because they're impatient for gnome3, but that's not really the dev's fault.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#27 2011-04-27 14:28:37

GogglesGuy
Website

ngoonee wrote:
GogglesGuy wrote:

The packages are not broken, simply built in an incompatible way.

It broke the regular update process... so it's broken.

Those using [testing] should know how to work around this if needed.

Sure we can workaround it...

#28 2011-04-27 16:09:39

Gyscos

So the problem is that
- LibreOffice requires redland
- Soprano requires redland-compat
- redland and redland-compat are incompatible
?

It started bugging because redland-compat stopped provinding redland, isn't that a bug ?

#29 2011-04-27 16:24:55

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gyscos wrote:

So the problem is that
- LibreOffice requires redland
- Soprano requires redland-compat
- redland and redland-compat are incompatible
?

Yes

It started bugging because redland-compat stopped provinding redland, isn't that a bug ?

Even if redland-compat provided redland, libreoffice would be fine but slv2 wouldn't (since it has a versioned dep on redland). Soprano upstream has not updated to support latest rasqal/redland, hence the need for compat packages. However the lack of changed .so numbering in redland means compat packages can't really be done properly without hackishly moving files around and recompiling a bunch of packages.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#30 2011-04-27 16:30:48

Gyscos

I see...
So we've got many dependencies on many different versions of redland, and currently, since all versions of redland use the same files, only one can be installed at a time ?...
Are all other libs using versionned .so files ? If so, not using it in redland probably was an error in the first place, wasn't it ? I guess it's not too hard to change... it's been three days, is there another problem ?

Last edited by Gyscos (2011-04-27 16:32:42)

#31 2011-04-27 18:02:03

youri

I just removed those librdf files manually, installed redland & libreoffice, bam, no problems yet.

#32 2011-04-27 20:23:53

ilpianista
Fellow developer
Website

GogglesGuy wrote:

I just downgraded them.

#33 2011-04-28 00:54:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

youri wrote:

I just removed those librdf files manually, installed redland & libreoffice, bam, no problems yet.

As bash said, its been fixed. In future you shouldn't really do that, its similar to symlinking libraries. In this particular case upstream assures us that the reason the so-name version numbers weren't bumped is that ABI/API is unchanged, so yes you would likely have not run into problems.

#34 2011-04-28 03:16:45

dalingrin

What is the proper way to revert back to the downgraded packages? I assume trying to install or remove redland-compat will still end up in dependency hell for those that already updated.

Last edited by dalingrin (2011-04-28 03:17:27)

#35 2011-04-28 03:29:44

jlindgren

dalingrin wrote:

What is the proper way to revert back to the downgraded packages? I assume trying to install or remove redland-compat will still end up in dependency hell for those that already updated.

No, the dependency problems have been fixed if the repository now; you should be able to update without problems.

#36 2011-04-28 03:34:05

dalingrin

redland-compat-storage-virtuoso is keeping me from "upgrading" to redland. I can't remove redland-compat-storage-virtuoso because soprano and akonadi and kdelibs are dependent on soprano, etc.

#37 2011-04-28 03:38:44

jlindgren

Install redland-storage-virtuoso instead of redland-compat-storage-virtuoso.

#38 2011-04-28 03:41:00

jlindgren

My system is completely up to date (well, except Skype), and I have:

$ pacman -Q redland redland-storage-virtuoso soprano
redland 1:1.0.12-1
redland-storage-virtuoso 1:1.0.12-1
soprano 2.6.0-4

With no dependency problems.

#39 2011-04-28 03:50:50

dalingrin

Manually installing Soprano again fixed the dependency issue for me. Now I can install redland-storage-virtuoso

#40 2011-05-07 07:16:03

diver92

dalingrin wrote:

Manually installing Soprano again fixed the dependency issue for me. Now I can install redland-storage-virtuoso

It helps me too.
Thanks ;-)

Board footer