You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-08 13:00:45

DarksideEE7

Filesystem from sdcard won't mount via fstab, will with rc.local

Since receiving my laptop back from RMA, I've installed my SSD and set up Arch.  I wanted to put /var on a separate reiserfs partition on my 8GB sdcard to prevent extra write activity from logs and pacman, however it wouldn't mount.  I tried using both label and dev (haven't tried uuid yet) and it always failed, causing me to enter admin mode.

I then set up a 1.5GB partition with reiserfs on the SSD for the time being, changing the pacman cache option to a directory on the sdcard in /media.  I set the command to mount in rc.local and it mounts fine there.  I can't get the other media partition to mount via fstab either.

Is there another hook I need to add to mkinitcpio.conf and rebuild the init ram image in order for this to work?  Any ideas?  I'm going to try adding usb to the hooks and rebuilding for now.

Here is my setup:

fstab:

devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0
LABEL=boot /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
LABEL=home /home ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
LABEL=root / ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
LABEL=var /var reiserfs defaults,noatime 0 1
#LABEL=sdcard /media/sdcard ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2

none    /tmp    tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,noatime,size=1000M,mode=1777       0 0

rc.local

mount /dev/disk/by-label/sdcard /media/sdcard

mkinitcpio.conf hooks line:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems"

EDIT:

I tried adding usb to the HOOKS array between sata and filesystem, rebuilt the image, uncommented my sdcard entry in fstab, and rebooted.  It didn't fix it.

I see someone made a hook in the AUR:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31150

Last edited by DarksideEE7 (2011-05-08 13:18:56)

#2 2011-05-08 18:00:24

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Filesystem from sdcard won't mount via fstab, will with rc.local

I'm a little confused, so maybe I'll learn something here.  It is my impression that /var is not, and need not be mounted while in using the initrd.  It will be mounted in init after the kernel has been loaded, / has been mounted/ and init started.  rc.local definitely is not executed until long after the initrd has been cast aside.

Things to look at:
Does the mount point /media/sdcard exist at the time rc.local runs?  I'd wager not.
Look at the output of ls -l /dev/disk/by-label and recheck the disk labels.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer