You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 04:58:46

CPUnltd
Website

[Resolved] Compaq n620c video problems

got i686 to install on this laptop with no problem... attempted to use ati FOSS drivers for video, got error that it didn't recognize the driver (will post exact error tomorrow if I can get internet where the laptop is, else I'll copy the error and post it when I get a free moment).  Tried installing all video drivers (just to see if anything would take) and the only one that had an actual response/reaction was the xgi driver (not sure why).  I have only seen one post on this whole site about someone installing arch on this laptop, and it's in the laptop install thread... with nothing more than the fact that the install was successful.

Doing a google search popped up a LOT of info revolving around Debian, Gentoo and Ubuntu having been installed on this laptop, but I don't want to use those, I intend to install Arch on this bad boy! ... if anyone can tell me what driver I 'SHOULD' be using, I'd appreciate it... hopefully can get some direct answers when I add the errors I got.  Prefered to post that I had an issue as opposed to waiting till tomorrow and possibly letting myself forget before sleep.  At least "this" can play as a placeholder and reminder to post the exact errors... tongue

EDIT: got the ATI drivers to work... now just struggling with permissions and SLiM...

installed only the ati FOSS drivers and xinit (forget which package this is inside of, but will do my best to remember to post when I find out) and the ATI driver just worked...  Was hoping the Catalyst driver would function, but the card is no longer supported... oh well.

Last edited by CPUnltd (2011-05-20 16:55:46)

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

Board footer