You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-09 16:54:45

Nareto

[SOLVED] nvidia blank screen

Hello, I have a 2 days old installation of Arch on an Acer laptop, and today at boot, right after the "Waiting for udev uevents to be processed", I get a blank screen - it happens even with the "fallback" boot entry; once the screen is blank, pressing caps lock does *not* turn on the light.

I was using the nvidia proprietary drivers from the repos, and in the past days I have booted many times succesfully.

Last time it was on I didn't do any updates, the only two semi-relevant things I can remember are adding !snd_pcm_oss to MODULES in rc.conf and using suspend to ram (sudo pm-suspend) several times, succesfully.

I found out this issue is common, but no suggestion I found worked for me. I tried editing, in the grub boot menu, the kernel line and adding at the end (each of these options singularly, not combinations of them):

nvidia.modeset=0
nomodeset
acpi_osi=linux
video=SVIDEO-1:d

but still I get the blank screen.

any help is very appreciated

cheers
renato

EDIT: it was not a graphic card problem, but a wrong formatted udev rule. You can skip right to post #5 and ignore the other ones

Last edited by Nareto (2011-05-11 06:47:16)

#2 2011-05-10 09:03:47

Nareto

Re: [SOLVED] nvidia blank screen

I tried booting from a liveCD, chrooting in my system and running 'mkinitcpio -p kernel26' - I got some errors of /sys/device not found (guess that's normal since I chrooted?) but overall the process was sucessful. Still same problem though.

Does it depend on the video driver? If I could somehow install the nouveau drivers and change X configuration by chrooting, could it solve the problem?

#3 2011-05-10 22:11:46

Nareto

anyone? still no success here.

I downloaded the needed packages to install nouveau (the ones said in the wiki) and, chrooting from a livecd, installed them and removed the nvidia proprietary ones. I followed the steps outlined in the nouveau archwiki page, both for the KMS early start and late start, trying passing no options to the kernel (other than ro), nouveau.modeset=1, nouveau.modeset=0, and nomodeset. In all cases I still get a blank screen after the "waiting for udev uevents to be processed"

So it doesn't seem a driver issue? Has anyone got an idea of what could be going on?

oh my card is this:

lspci |grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] (rev a1)

#4 2011-05-11 06:28:08

Nareto

Got it!

Turns out I had carelessly copied /etc/udev/rules.d from my old laptop; I removed them from there and the laptop boots normally, both with nouveau and nvidia drivers.

Right now I'm trying to add them one at a time to see which one causes the issue, and I'll post it here for future reference.

#5 2011-05-11 06:44:58

Nareto

so, the whole problem was I had this udev rule https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ud … t_SD_cards with the first line (the one starting with KERNEL) commented out.

Now everything's ok, BUT: shouldn't the Arch boot process spit out some sort of error message in a case like this? Even something generic like "failed to process udev rules"

cheers
renato

Board footer