You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-14 12:26:12

krnekhelesh

[Solved] Change preferred applications in gnome-shell

I already do know that you can change the preferred application for a particular file type by right-clicking and then "open with other application" and choosing the default application. However I use .tex files extensively and installed Texworks (V0.4) to handle it. However when I click on .tex file in nautilus it always opens with gedit. I clicked on "open with other application", however that list did not show Texworks.

On searching through arch wiki and google, I found some posts saying if you can add the file type association in the file ~.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. However I do not know the syntax for .tex file type.

Is there a way to add Texworks to "open with other application list?  Or is there any other command line way?

Last edited by krnekhelesh (2011-05-14 15:55:13)

#2 2011-05-14 13:38:14

Wey

Re: [Solved] Change preferred applications in gnome-shell

Your program should show up if you add a *.desktop file (e. g. to /usr/share/applications or ~.local/share/applications/). The important piece is the exec line, which has to look like this:

Exec=yourprogram %U

(further reading)

Last edited by Wey (2011-05-14 13:39:20)

#3 2011-05-14 15:51:42

krnekhelesh

Re: [Solved] Change preferred applications in gnome-shell

Thank you...that solved the problem.. The file texworks.desktop was there in /usr/share/applications, however when I opened the texworks.desktop file, in the exec line it did not have the %U argument. Now it works properly...:)

Board footer